You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 read receipts showing read even though feature turned off

I just recently found out that my iPhone 11 is sending read receipts automatically, even though I haven’t opened the text and the feature is TURNED OFF on my phone settings.

This is clearly a glitch from an update that Apple needs to fix, because how can a feature execute if the feature is turned off?

Also, heads up that no amount of turning the setting off then on and restarting the iPhone works. I’ve already done it several times and that does not solve the issue and is not valuable troubleshooting advice.

The only solution I’ve found is to turn off iMessages completely and just use SMS so that the automatic Read stamp won’t show. Apple, please fix!

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:09 AM

Hi mcbooklovin,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Being able to control your read receipts for Messages is important. Is this happening with a specific contact, or multiple contacts? We ask because it is possible to turn on read receipt notifications for specific contacts even though it is turned off in Settings. You can go into the Messages thread, tap the contact's name/picture at the top > select the "i" > Send Read Receipt.

Send and receive text messages on iPhone

Hope that helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2021 5:09 AM in response to mcbooklovin

Hi mcbooklovin,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Being able to control your read receipts for Messages is important. Is this happening with a specific contact, or multiple contacts? We ask because it is possible to turn on read receipt notifications for specific contacts even though it is turned off in Settings. You can go into the Messages thread, tap the contact's name/picture at the top > select the "i" > Send Read Receipt.

Send and receive text messages on iPhone

Hope that helps!

Apr 16, 2021 6:35 AM in response to mcbooklovin

Mcbooklovin,

Thank you for that information. Is your iPhone 11 running iOS 14.4.2? You can confirm by going to Settings > General > About. Do you have any other device where you can send and receive your iMessages? Do you experience the same thing when you send from that device as well?

If you haven't updated, you can back up your data and follow the steps here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If this continues after doing so, you may want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

Take care!

iPhone 11 read receipts showing read even though feature turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.