You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new iPhone need a SIM card in it? The old phone I'm transferring data from has my SIM card, but the new one not.

I'm trying to transfer from an old iphone SE to a new iphone 12 and it's taking forever. I was wondering if it has something to do with the SIM card. I have one SIM card which is in the old phone. There is no SIM card in the new phone.

At the moment the old phone has the message "Finish on new iphone Keep this iphone near your new iphone while your information is transferred" and there is a circle going round to indicate something is happening. The new iphone simply says "waiting for other iphone"

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 2:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 2:32 AM

You need to put the SIM into the new phone. It won't activate without it. The old phone doesn't need a SIM anymore.

3 replies

Does the new iPhone need a SIM card in it? The old phone I'm transferring data from has my SIM card, but the new one not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.