You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will not allow me to enter verification code

In trying to set up Apple ID on an iPad, I have the verification code sent to my phone but when I try to enter it on the ipad, the screen is locked and will not allow me to type. I have one brand new ipad and two old ones and this has happened to all of them. Any suggestions on how to fix? Can't download apps or anything without the Apple ID but can otherwise use.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 4:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 5:14 PM

On an older device, simply append the Verification Code to your AppleID Password.

For example, if your Password is PasswordABC - and the Verification Code is 123456 - you would enter PasswordABC123456

6 replies

Apr 1, 2021 5:18 AM in response to jmwlmsn

If iPad isn’t responding, do one of the following:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Note: If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen.

Apr 1, 2021 5:31 AM in response to LotusPilot

The ipad is not frozen and it turns on just fine. It responds and functions in all ways *except* for the screen asking for verification code to be input. This screen does not allow numbers to be input.

I have tried all these other ideas, reset to factory defaults, etc., but I still cannot get this screen to accept code sent from Apple to another device to get the Apple ID set up. Three ipads, different vintages, all will not accept inputting.

Apr 3, 2021 4:41 PM in response to LotusPilot

On the two older ipads, I get this message when I do the above: VERIFICATION FAILED. Your Apple ID or password is incorrect.

(The email and password are correct, just putting the verification code after the password causes this. )

Hard to believe this isn't a problem for a lot of people if it's happened on the three ipads I have possession of currently!! Can't be operator error with something so simple as trying to input a verification code unless the glass just hates my fingertips.

iPad will not allow me to enter verification code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.