You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up cardio fitness

1. From the Health app on your iPhone, tap the Summary tab. 
  2. Tap Set Up under Cardio Fitness, then tap Next.

I do not show a set up section in my health app under Cardio Fitness.

I have a new Apple Watch 6 Series and trying to set up Cardio Fitness.

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 8:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 2:28 AM

Start here;

Set up Cardio Fitness Levels – Apple Support

10 replies

Mar 16, 2021 7:30 AM in response to kilian225

Maximum heart rate multiplied by .70 = 70% of your maximum heart rate and it is the minimum number of heartbeats per minute that the watch needs before it will track Vo2Max and record a reading.

This hearbeat measurement must be kept up for at least 20 mins and must be constant.

Apple quotes the figure to measure Vo2Max from 70% up to 85% of your maximum heart rate so I used the lower measurement as a bare minimum in which to get a reading.

Also the watch needs a fair bit of previous workout data before it will record a VO2max reading,I've never been able to find out how much data that should be but it seems that the watch needs this data as some sort of comparison or calibration data.

Only three workout types can produce an estimated Vo2max on Apple Watch: Outdoor Walk,Outdoor Run and Hiking.

Mar 16, 2021 7:31 AM in response to kilian225

Right you are - those instructions are apparently out of date regarding that detail. I have just asked Apple to look into that - I would suggest you do the same. First click on Helpful>No and then write in your comment/observation ;-)

Under Data Sources at the very end I see all my Apple Watches though. How about under 'Show All Data' - do you see any recorded data there yet?

Mar 16, 2021 7:42 AM in response to better_half

Thanks for your input. Under ‘Show all data’ there is no information either. I completely understand that there needs to be more information to be accumulated for cardio fitness to be displayed, but the missing tab is another issue and the fact that my source data shows ‘none’. This way it seems that without source data it could never display cardio fitness.

Mar 27, 2021 9:51 AM in response to Community User

Same issue, with iPhone 11, and watch series 6, all on the latest iOS. I have had the watch for two weeks. I have done 2 weeks worth of Outdoor Walks and Fitness+ workouts. All Notifications are On. But still have no way to set up Cardio Fitness function. And it still has no data, or a way to add my Apple Watch as a Data Source. How long does it take?

Mar 27, 2021 9:28 PM in response to mynewapplewatch

Yes that source data should definitely populate before this will start working. It should not take that long, definitely not two weeks by design.

I found the following long list of advice here - sounds like worth trying:

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/02/23/apple-watch-cardio-fitness-showing-no-data-heres-what-you-can-do/

Maybe its one of those pricacy settings or data source priorities things? Have a look in there and please let us know how it goes, if one of the recommendations there fixes it for you!

Apr 24, 2021 8:31 PM in response to kilian225

I was able to get cardio fitness readings on my Apple Watch 6, but the readings only generate after a walk, hike or outside run.

Any idea when Apple is able for the Apple Watch 6 to analyze and generate a VO2 reading also after indoor or outdoor biking workouts?

My cardio workouts consist of mostly high intensity indoor bicycling and even more outdoor bicycling which really does test my cardio fitness much more so as a “brisk” outside walk. So I feel my cardio fitness score would be somehow not truly reflected just considering an occasional outside walk.

Thanks for your input.

Kilian

Set up cardio fitness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.