You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options to connect an old MacBook Pro SSD

Hello :)

I have an old 2014 non functioning MacBook Pro, which still has data on the internal SSD.

I want to remove the SSD and connect it to my new MacBook Air to retrieve all data.

I found a few cases (e.g. ACASIS USB C 3.0 Enclosure for Apple Flash PCle SSDs), but unfortunately they are very very expensive here in Mexico where I live at the moment. I am wondering, if there are also cables that can help me achieve that? I am struggling finding the right adapter type etc...

Thank you very much!

Christof

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 7:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 4:07 PM

Existenziell wrote:

Thank you, I saw these products on the Mexican Amazon, but none of these say anything about Apple. And since the macbooks seem to have a special connector (correct me if I am wrong) I am not sure about buying one there. For example some claim to be compatible with 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 M.2 NVMe connectors, but I don't know if this is correct for an Apple SSD.

If the enclosure mentions M.2, then it is not compatible with an Apple PCIe SSD. M.2 is a designation for the standard stick style SSDs used in non-Apple PCs.

The only enclosures which I know without a doubt that are compatible with the Apple PCIe SSDs are the OWC Envoy Pro Enclosures. Find a vendor which sells or ships an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure to your location in Mexico, or order one to be sent to a friend or family member in the US so they can ship it to you in Mexico. You want an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure that is compatible with 2013-2015 MBPros or 2013-2017 MBAirs.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Existenziell

Existenziell wrote:

Thank you, I saw these products on the Mexican Amazon, but none of these say anything about Apple. And since the macbooks seem to have a special connector (correct me if I am wrong) I am not sure about buying one there. For example some claim to be compatible with 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 M.2 NVMe connectors, but I don't know if this is correct for an Apple SSD.

If the enclosure mentions M.2, then it is not compatible with an Apple PCIe SSD. M.2 is a designation for the standard stick style SSDs used in non-Apple PCs.

The only enclosures which I know without a doubt that are compatible with the Apple PCIe SSDs are the OWC Envoy Pro Enclosures. Find a vendor which sells or ships an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure to your location in Mexico, or order one to be sent to a friend or family member in the US so they can ship it to you in Mexico. You want an OWC Envoy Pro Enclosure that is compatible with 2013-2015 MBPros or 2013-2017 MBAirs.

Mar 5, 2021 8:56 AM in response to Existenziell

Existenziell wrote:

I have an old 2014 non functioning MacBook Pro, which still has data on the internal SSD.
I want to remove the SSD and connect it to my new MacBook Air to retrieve all data.
I found a few cases (e.g. ACASIS USB C 3.0 Enclosure for Apple Flash PCle SSDs), but unfortunately they are very very expensive here in Mexico where I live at the moment. I am wondering, if there are also cables that can help me achieve that? I am struggling finding the right adapter type etc...

Thank you very much!
Christof

You can try— OWC/MacSales partners/ reseller in MEXICO

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Mar 5, 2021 9:01 AM in response to Existenziell

Existenziell wrote:

Thank you very much!
Christof

See all OWC/MacSales partners/ reseller around the world:

https://www.owcdigital.com/reseller/resellers

Mar 5, 2021 1:11 PM in response to Phil0124

Options to connect an old MacBook Pro SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.