You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 - Maintenance of the battery

Dear users!

What/how do you recommend to treat the MBA regarding the battery? I usually use my MacBook at home; so should I constantly plug it in or let it always drain? I received my MBA last week and so far I'm not too impressed with the battery life: Im at 60% and I only used it about 3 hours. But I also know batteries need to 'get used' to it for a certain time.

Anyone has tipps or can help me regarding the charging situation? thank you so much :)

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 2:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:54 AM

Given Apple has the "Battery Health" installed since Catalina 10.15.7 with an automatic

ability to control the charging circuit even while constantly plugged into AC power,

this has sufficed to keep the battery from overcharging. Keep tabs on newer Big Sur

versions, such as macOS 11.3+ as these offer improvements to many items.

• About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support (M1 Apple)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211832

So that means the portable Mac may appear to discharge for some time, while it is

plugged into the power adapter; no need to manually discharge battery in between.

You may find additional information about your Mac under the Apple 'menu bar' Help.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2021 3:54 AM in response to jo021

Given Apple has the "Battery Health" installed since Catalina 10.15.7 with an automatic

ability to control the charging circuit even while constantly plugged into AC power,

this has sufficed to keep the battery from overcharging. Keep tabs on newer Big Sur

versions, such as macOS 11.3+ as these offer improvements to many items.

• About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support (M1 Apple)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211832

So that means the portable Mac may appear to discharge for some time, while it is

plugged into the power adapter; no need to manually discharge battery in between.

You may find additional information about your Mac under the Apple 'menu bar' Help.

Feb 27, 2021 8:11 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hey, thank you so much for you reply! It is much appreciated! Also in regard to my question: if we speak about cycles and I have the ability to charge my laptop while working from home, it might be better to keep it plugged in order to 'save' battery cycles? :) It is kind of stupid to always let it run down and charge it?

Sorry, it might be a dumb question, but I have been using a MCP (Late 2008), so I just want do everything right. Thank you so much in advance.

MacBook Air M1 - Maintenance of the battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.