You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long does it take to repair the swollen battery? how much does it cost? Thanks!

how long does it take to repair the swollen battery? how much does it cost? Thanks!

ps: I work with my MBP

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 5:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 6:53 PM

We are not Apple so cannot give repair time estimates.

US service pricing is here.:

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

What MacBook Pro??

Note that, if this is a Retina MacBook Pro, the battery is glued to the upper deck and even an Apple store has to send it to a repair depot for the the battery replacement. If the swelling damaged other components, that can increase the repair time.

If you let a third-party provider do it, all they usually do ins replace the entire upper deck including keyboard and track pad, and charge you US$300 more than Apple charges.

Regardless of how you proceed, you cannot expect a "while you wait" turnaround on this type of service.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 6:53 PM in response to pabloteuk

We are not Apple so cannot give repair time estimates.

US service pricing is here.:

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

What MacBook Pro??

Note that, if this is a Retina MacBook Pro, the battery is glued to the upper deck and even an Apple store has to send it to a repair depot for the the battery replacement. If the swelling damaged other components, that can increase the repair time.

If you let a third-party provider do it, all they usually do ins replace the entire upper deck including keyboard and track pad, and charge you US$300 more than Apple charges.

Regardless of how you proceed, you cannot expect a "while you wait" turnaround on this type of service.

Feb 26, 2021 7:20 PM in response to pabloteuk

pabloteuk Said:

"how long does it take to repair the swollen battery? how much does it cost? Thanks! ps: I work with my MBP"

-------

Where to Go From Here:

See if this can be found to be a faulty device.

In Depth:

I. Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

How old is this? If this is covered under AppleCare Plus warranty, then maybe you can get it serviced free of charge, being it is found to be a faulty device. You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-wattanty with this too. So, if any of that applies, and if found to be a faulty device, then it might be free-of-charge. In all, that would be Apple's call.

II. So, Contact Apple Support:

Phone Support Info:

III. Chat Session Info:

Being that phone calls are taking a moment, perform a chat session with Apple Support.

Setting Up the Chat Session:

1. Go to: support.apple.com
  2. Scroll Down to "Tell us how we can help"
  3. Select: Get Support
  4. Proceed from there as Necessary

IV. Phone Calls are Currently a Wait:

Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, phone calls are taking a lot longer than usual. So, take this up with Apple, despite how long it may take to get on the phone. With many out of work, and many home from school, phone calls will likely take a while to go through — so, just stay on the line. Ask the Apple Rep — they’ll see this and will run you through the fix. Chats are taking a bit longe

Feb 27, 2021 4:31 AM in response to pabloteuk

pabloteuk Said:

"how long does it take to repair the swollen battery? how much does it cost? Thanks! ps: It’s a 2015 MBP. There were recalls on this model. I checked my Serial Number and I’m not in the recall group. However, the swollen battery problem has emerged

———-

Where to Go from Here:

I. Getting this Serviced:

See if you can get this serviced. Ask for assistance with signing out of iCloud on it, if you cannot log out of it.

II. Getting a New Mac:

However, if getting this serviced ends up being of no success, then going for a new Mac may be the way to go from here. So, take this chance to upgrade. If you were to get one that is used, be certain that the current owner logs out of iCloud on it. Elsewise, it’d be useless to you. Have the Owner Go here. What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

III. Provide Apple Feedback:

Do Your Part: Inform Apple of this. They will not get back to directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what issues are occurring out there. The more feedback that Apple's developers receive on this, the more likely they will be careful in future Macs to come.

Feb 27, 2021 3:59 AM in response to pabloteuk

As a point of reference, I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) - In October 2020 I had the battery replaced because it was swollen. It was done by an Authorized Apple Shop here locally and the price was $350.00. They ordered the needed parts for me and then when they arrived I dropped the machine off with them in the morning and they returned it to me repaired that evening. I did this because at the time this was my main machine and I needed it back fast to be able to continue working.

The MacBook continues to be a great machine and I am very very happy with the repair. New battery, new keyboard, new trackpad, and the new top half of the lower case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.