You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storage

Is it possible to have a folder on my iCloud Drive that's not visible on my Mac. With Dropbox I was able to have folders online that don't have to be visible on my machine, but now every folder I create on my iCloud Drive appears on my MacBook.

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 6:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 9:38 AM

Hi philolckers,

You can hide a folder or file on your Mac by putting a period (.) at the beginning of the file/folder name. Linux, Unix, and other Unix-based OSes respect this convention as well.

To view hidden files and folders on your Mac, open a Finder window, then press Command-Shift-Period. Press this key combination again to hide hidden folders and files.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2021 9:38 AM in response to philolckers

Hi philolckers,

You can hide a folder or file on your Mac by putting a period (.) at the beginning of the file/folder name. Linux, Unix, and other Unix-based OSes respect this convention as well.

To view hidden files and folders on your Mac, open a Finder window, then press Command-Shift-Period. Press this key combination again to hide hidden folders and files.

Feb 16, 2021 6:37 AM in response to philolckers

Ah, now that we know what you want to accomplish, a better and different solution appears possible:

Add .nosync (don't miss the dot there) to the end of a file or folder name to prevent syncing over iCloud Drive.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8137146

That is much better than hiding something and having to toggle invisibility all the time. However, it is used in that linked context to stop a Mac folder from syncing to iCloud and not the other way around so I don't know if it works in reverse too. Realize that iCloud isn't really intended to be used as a hard drive in the sky, it is syncing storage so you are trying to work against its fundamental design. For what you want to do, Dropbox or a pure cloud storage solution may be better.

Feb 15, 2021 9:11 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Hey there.

Ok, thanks for this. Just want to clarify, this will just hide the folder right? Essentially what I'm trying to do is having a working folder that continuously syncs to the cloud, but then another folder on the cloud that I move completed projects to. That folder must not sync with my Mac, as I would like it to only to use up iCloud storage space not any hard drive space, at all.

Feb 16, 2021 9:30 PM in response to philolckers

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately putting a period at the beginning only hides the file - it still lives on your internal drive.

I'm not sure if its possible to store files in iCloud Drive and not have them sync onto your Mac. The only sure-fire way I can think of is to put only the files you don't want on your Mac into iCloud Drive, then disable iCloud Drive in System Preferences -> Apple ID or iCloud.

iCloud Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.