You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page/Section break greyed out in Pages 10.1

I have a simple document using the same master page for the header and footer. In each page, I insert a text box where I type the content. All the text boxes are on the same thread on all my pages.

When the cursor is at any place in the body of any of the page, page/section break is always greyed out. So I cannot insert a page break... why? Am I doing something wrong?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 12:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 4:42 PM

Which type of document you start with depends on the template you choose.

As well as the first item of the Insert menu, you can determine (and change) the type of document you are working on by clicking the Document button (to the right of the Format brush and checking the state of the checkbox indicated by the red arrow below:

Word processor documents have a Document Body. It is the place where the main river of text running through the document is placed.

To convert this document to a Page layout document, click the checkbox to toggle it from 'checkmark' to 'empty..

This will initially produce a Warning message:

Conversion from a Page Layout document to a word processing document can be done by toggling that box from empty to checked with one click of the box to include a Document Body in the document.

You won't get a warning in this direction, as any text in the document is in text boxes of other objects which 'float above' the Document body.

The cautious (like me) would start by making a copy of the original document, then do the conversion using that copy, then edit the converted copy knowing that the original still exists and can be used to supply any text or images accidentally removed during the conversion or the editing that followed.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2021 4:42 PM in response to paulgodard

Which type of document you start with depends on the template you choose.

As well as the first item of the Insert menu, you can determine (and change) the type of document you are working on by clicking the Document button (to the right of the Format brush and checking the state of the checkbox indicated by the red arrow below:

Word processor documents have a Document Body. It is the place where the main river of text running through the document is placed.

To convert this document to a Page layout document, click the checkbox to toggle it from 'checkmark' to 'empty..

This will initially produce a Warning message:

Conversion from a Page Layout document to a word processing document can be done by toggling that box from empty to checked with one click of the box to include a Document Body in the document.

You won't get a warning in this direction, as any text in the document is in text boxes of other objects which 'float above' the Document body.

The cautious (like me) would start by making a copy of the original document, then do the conversion using that copy, then edit the converted copy knowing that the original still exists and can be used to supply any text or images accidentally removed during the conversion or the editing that followed.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 10, 2021 2:23 AM in response to paulgodard

Hi Paul,

Pages produces two types of document: word processing document, and page layout documents. A quick way to determine which type of document you have open is to look at the Insert menu.

If the first item in the Insert menu when your problem document is open is "Section," your open document is a Word Processing document, and if the insertion point is in the text of the document, the page break and section break items should be 'black'.

If the first item in that menu is "Page", your open document is a page Layout document, the Page bd the Section break item will not appear on that menu.

From your description, and from your statement that you "insert a text box where I type the content" I would say you are working in a page layout document.

In a page layout document, every page is also a section.

Page layout documents have no Document Body, which in a word processing document, carries the main stream of text running through the document.Without a Document Body, there is no place to put a page break. And with every page also a Section, there's no need for Section breaks either.

If you want to insert a new Page (and a new one page section), open the Insert menu and chose "Page" You will add a text box (or other container, such as a shape) to the page if it is to have any text on it.

Form longer documents where text will run from one page to the next, a better choice is often a word processing document, where you do not have to manually add pages. WP documents automatically ann a new page as the ne you are working on becomes full.

Regards,

Barry

Page/Section break greyed out in Pages 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.