You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect external speakers to USB-C port on MacBook Pro

I have a 16" MBP connected to an LG 5K 27" monitor.

Looking to buy some very good speakers for my setup, like Audio Engine or Edifier. I don't want to use bluetooth to connect to them, would rather have a wired connection.

I cannot figure out how to connect a bookshelf speaker like one of the above to my MBP with USB-C. Can I simply use a USB-C to USB adaptor, or a USB-C to audio out?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 2:01 PM

Bryan Schmiedeler wrote:

Looking to buy some very good speakers for my setup, like Audio Engine or Edifier. I don't want to use bluetooth to connect to them, would rather have a wired connection.

I cannot figure out how to connect a bookshelf speaker like one of the above to my MBP with USB-C. Can I simply use a USB-C to USB adaptor, or a USB-C to audio out?

Depends what your speakers have—

typically you just plug into the Audio port out: "3.5 mm headphone jack"

If your speakers of choice have a USB connector and not a 3.5mm plug, then you simply use a adapter USBC to USB USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Bryan Schmiedeler

Bryan Schmiedeler wrote:

Depends what your speakers have—

typically you just plug into the Audio port out: "3.5 mm headphone jack"

If your speakers of choice have a USB connector and not a 3.5mm plug, then you simply use a adapter USBC to USB USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Feb 17, 2021 2:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

I don't have any speakers yet, I am considering which pair to buy.

I want to avoid using the headphone jack, as newer MBPs don't support optical out, and so the sound would not be as good as using a USB out, or so I am led to believe. I think that your suggestion to to use a USB-C to USB Adaptor will work fine. I am hoping that I can use this from my LG monitor right to the speakers.

How to connect external speakers to USB-C port on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.