You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected to Wi-Fi but no symbol- Safari works, but apps aren't? (Very weird issue, please help!)

Hi all,

Using an iPhone 8 Plus, updated to iOS 14.4 (latest update as of this issue).

tl;dr: Settings says I'm connected to wifi but my 4G symbol doesn't change to the Wi-Fi symbol.

I can search pages in Safari and they DO load (with my cellular data turned off) but any other apps using internet don't work. This happened overnight (so not after any updates of anything) and is the same at home and work, so I'm sure it's my phone and not my router/modem.

This morning I woke up (last night everything was working fine) and tried to watch a YouTube video- the page loaded, and the ads and suggested videos below all loaded their thumbnails, but the video itself stayed on the spinning loading wheel.

I noticed my 4G symbol was up, but Settings says I'm connected to the Wi-Fi. Safari pages do load, even with cellular data turned off, but I tried a speedtest and got 0.00 in the download part and it just didn't progress from there, so.. zilch. Very weird.

I tried Airplane mode on/off, Forget This Network (at both home and work) and Reset Network Settings. Each time my phone says it reconnects to my Wifi network (a tick next to the name and everything), but only once did the 4G symbol flicker to the Wifi symbol for a second. Other than that, no change. I'll do a DFU reset tonight and try resetting from my latest iCloud backup, but any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters, I got my screen and battery replaced about a week ago, but everything's been fine since then.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 6:53 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 31, 2021 12:45 PM in response to tahlia213

Hey there, Tahlia,

Thanks so much for visiting the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are unable to get internet over Wi-Fi, and though it appears connected in Settings, you never see the icon in your status bar; it remains 4G. We'd be happy to provide you with further instruction.

It sounds like you have done the relevant troubleshooting suggested in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support, so we would encourage you to get in touch with Apple Support directly next. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful day!

Connected to Wi-Fi but no symbol- Safari works, but apps aren't? (Very weird issue, please help!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.