You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS x base

Hello,

I just bought a new MacBook Air and have already made all data transfer / migration from my old one.

Since I have plan to sell my old MacBook and to erase all my private data there I have a question regarding that and hope you could help...

When I turn on my ''old'' mac there is a question blinking in the middle of the screen and after '' Command+R'' action I can finally see my Utility and so on. There is some information on OS X Base System: disc 1 = 1.28 GB and disc 2 121.12 Gb . Please, see attached screenshots. I don't understand if I need to erase them both? And I will erase them...does this mean i can loose those files on my ''new'' Mac?? I will be very appreciate if someone could help.

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 2:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 3:35 AM

Actually nothing will happen to the New Mac.

If and only if one wants to have a backup plan, strongly suggest making a Time Machine Backup of the New Mac Before proceeding to Erase the Old Mac. It is usually good practice to have a TM Backup in place all the time. For overkill, explore a Cloning Software like this one - it is free for Trial or another called SuperDuper. It involves have another dedicated external drive for this purpose - fairly cheap these days

Good Luck and if any more questions - do come back and ask.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2021 3:35 AM in response to zeta134

Actually nothing will happen to the New Mac.

If and only if one wants to have a backup plan, strongly suggest making a Time Machine Backup of the New Mac Before proceeding to Erase the Old Mac. It is usually good practice to have a TM Backup in place all the time. For overkill, explore a Cloning Software like this one - it is free for Trial or another called SuperDuper. It involves have another dedicated external drive for this purpose - fairly cheap these days

Good Luck and if any more questions - do come back and ask.

OS x base

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.