You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I just change my passcode? My iPhone is the official Apple device. I have never backed up my iPad on my computer.

I have forgotten the passcode for my iPad. I have the ID it’s connected with my iPhone, but I have never backed it up to my computer.

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 5:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 6:54 PM

The only way to open the iPad without the passcode is to restore it using a computer. The process will erase the device. It is important to back-up the device BEFORE catastrophe strikes. After is too late. Instructions here...

If you forgot the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled - Apple Support

2 replies

Jan 22, 2021 6:58 PM in response to RestingEagle

If you forget the device screen lock passcode or the device is disabled, by explicit design, the one and the only mechanism to reset it requires you to erase the device. This ensures that nobody, no one at all, can regain access to a device with the data intact when they do not know the screen lock passcode. It is assumed that once reset, an owner will restore their data from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Your failure to backup your device means you’re now going to loose data. And their is no way around that.

Are you sure you’re device wasn’t using automatic iCloud backups? See -> Back up iPad - Apple Support

See instructions in -> If you forgot the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled - Apple Support

Why can’t I just change my passcode? My iPhone is the official Apple device. I have never backed up my iPad on my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.