You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS vs iPadOS

What are the differences between iOS and iPadOS? Can I use either for an iPad? How do I know which one I have now?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:35 PM

1. They're different names for the same OS.

2. Which name Apple uses depends on the unit and current version; there's only one for a specific configuration.

3. It's iPadOS in version 13 or newer on an iPad. Otherwise, it's iOS.

(190106)

2 replies

Jan 12, 2021 4:12 PM in response to rsblake73

Expanding upon Niel’s summary, up to and including iOS12, the differences between iOS for iPhone and iPad were relatively minor.

However, from iOS/iPadOS13, whilst iOS and iPadOS remain closely related, iPadOS differentiates from iOS in several significant features - in particular multi-tasking on iPad. These advanced features require the newer CPU/GPU derivatives that are optimised for iPad.

Apple has indicated that the iPadOS “fork” (a computing term that describes a divergence) will continue to incorporate more features that can be successfully implemented on large-format devices. As such, over time, we are likely to see greater differences between the iOS and iPadOS feature sets.

iOS vs iPadOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.