You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB printer offline after switching from Ethernet to WiFi?

I'm trying to figure out the following:

I have an HP LaserJet Pro printer (M404) connected to my iMac via USB.

The iMac is connected to the LAN via Ethernet.

The printer is shared to the network.

When the network is connection is via Ethernet, both from the iMac itself and the LAN, the printer is available. If I switch the network connection to use WiFi (different subnet to Ethernet) instead, even from the iMac itself, the printer is marked as offline and I can't bring it back online?

I enabled 'allow printing from the internet' in the CUPS administration interface, but this has not helped.

Any ideas of a) why this is happening and b) how I get this working on both connections?

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 3:41 PM

Hi,

Which exact model (including a suffix) is it?

A number of LaserJet Pro M404 models are mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as printers supporting the driverless AirPrint technology.

If I understand it correctly, the printer is connected to your iMac through USB, and then shared by the computer to the LAN. May I ask, why is the printer not connected directly to the LAN?

In this context, it is worth noting that AirPrint (normally) supports Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections only.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2021 3:41 PM in response to VGsystemsDept

Hi,

Which exact model (including a suffix) is it?

A number of LaserJet Pro M404 models are mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as printers supporting the driverless AirPrint technology.

If I understand it correctly, the printer is connected to your iMac through USB, and then shared by the computer to the LAN. May I ask, why is the printer not connected directly to the LAN?

In this context, it is worth noting that AirPrint (normally) supports Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections only.

Jan 12, 2021 7:02 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi,

The exact model is LaserJet Pro M404dn.

I'm testing a setup that will hopefully work for a remote worker, enabling other remote workers to print to this printer, routing of the corporate VPN.

Mac connected to internet via WiFi (simulating being connected to a user's home router). VPN connection connecting to corporate LAN. Printer connected to the Mac via USB as you say.

Subsequent to this post, I've got the printer active whilst on the WiFi, but remote users still can't print to it.

Airprint wise, yes, when the printer is first plugged into the USB, it's described in the Printer Prefs as using the Airprint driver?

I manually added to printer again through the CUPS interface, not as an Airprint device. The results are the same.

USB printer offline after switching from Ethernet to WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.