You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing & Purchases

My husband is the organizer of our Family Sharing and I am “Adult”. Why when I want to make a purchase in iTunes from my phone it sends my husband a purchase verification request? As as “Adult” role, shouldn’t that purchase automatically go through? I thought only for “Child” roles the purchase verification would occur. What do we need to update in our settings?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 4:57 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2021 9:39 AM in response to JPaulson2020

Hi JPaulson2020,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about Family Sharing purchases. Rest assured that we'll do our best to assist you or get you pointed in the right direction.

We understand that you are getting a purchase verification request even if you are using an adult account. Ask To Buy isn't available for adults. Are you sharing an Apple ID with a child? If not, check the birth date on your Apple ID account and ask your husband to review the details of your Family Sharing account and change your status to Parent/Guardian. Restart both of your devices after making these changes.

Use your own Apple ID for Family Sharing

Manage and use your Apple ID

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy

"With Ask to Buy, when kids want to buy or download a new item, they send a request to the family organizer.

The family organizer can turn on Ask to Buy for any family member who isn't an adult. It's on by default for any children under 13. You'll be asked to set up Ask to Buy when you invite anyone under 18 to your family group.

The family organizer can give another parent or guardian in the group over the age of 18 permission to manage Ask to Buy requests.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Family Sharing, then tap your family member's name.
  4. Tap Role.
  5. Tap Parent/Guardian."

If the issue persists, please reply back to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care!

Feb 4, 2021 9:12 AM in response to kamote0628

Thank you for this information. I have checked and my birthdate is correct and I am listed as an “adult” on the family sharing. There are no children on the account. It did boy seem to matter if I was listed as Adult or Parent/Guardian, my husband still received the requests to approve the purchase. My friend and her husband are having this same issue too.

what other setting or updates need to be made to correct this?

Family Sharing & Purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.