You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to place my music files within Catalina 10.15.7

I have songs in my iTunes library that I imported from my CD's. I'm running Sierra on a 2014 MBP. My boys have their own Macs running Catalina with the app Apple Music 1.0.6.10. I am attempting to take the songs files I imported from my CD's and put them on their Macs so they can sync their Nanos along with any music they purchase themselves going forward from the iTunes store.

In the past, I would place the Artist Folder and Album Folder containing the m4a files in the iTunes Media or iTunes Music folder, then import using Add To Library in iTunes. For the Apple Music app in

Catalina, the folder structure has all changed. Now, within the iTunes Media folder, I see a folder for Music and one for iTunes. The Music folder only contains a Music Library file. I would presumably go to the

iTunes Media folder within the iTunes folder, but it contains folders named Automatically Add To iTunes, Automatically Add To Music, and Automatically Add To TV. I would like to put the music I own in the

correct folder so they can sync properly to their Nanos and continue to do so as they start buying their own music from the iTunes store.

I guess it's just a matter of my learning how this new OS thinks about and organizes music I've already purchased. Feel free to send a link to an article if you have one. Again, I know I'm a dinosaur in a streaming world. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much.

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 2:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 6:34 PM

The Automatically Add to Music folder was there in iTunes too (but named Automatically Add to iTunes). Drag your music files into it and let Music file them in the correct spot. Try it with a few files so you can see how it works. (BTW, do this while Music is running.)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2021 6:34 PM in response to SQUONK2

The Automatically Add to Music folder was there in iTunes too (but named Automatically Add to iTunes). Drag your music files into it and let Music file them in the correct spot. Try it with a few files so you can see how it works. (BTW, do this while Music is running.)

Jan 11, 2021 7:56 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks for the response. It sounds easy, but also concerning. Will it bundle everything up the way iPhoto does in a manner that makes it difficult for me to access my music files manually if I wish? iPhoto is my least favorite Apple product because it limits my ability to manage my own assets. I hope this move to Apple Music has not done the same thing.

I appreciate your insight and guidance. Thanks.

Where to place my music files within Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.