You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant

It is taking more than 12 hours to transfer data from on mac to another? Is something wrong? My old mac says ‘looking for applications to transfer’ and my new mac says ‘starting up’?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 10:32 AM

I recommend starting over. In my experience, doing a Migration Assist transfer only took about an hour or so. It could take longer if you have a lot of data. The app is very easy to use and works very well if done correctly. (Follow the directions.) Be sure to first set up your new Mac. When It asks if you wish to transfer data, click yes and then connect the two computers with a USB cable. Do not use Wi-Fi or Ethernet. (I'll bet you did and that's your problem.) Next select the groups of data you want transferred. The new OS in the new computer will not be replaced.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2020 10:32 AM in response to resarfsivad

I recommend starting over. In my experience, doing a Migration Assist transfer only took about an hour or so. It could take longer if you have a lot of data. The app is very easy to use and works very well if done correctly. (Follow the directions.) Be sure to first set up your new Mac. When It asks if you wish to transfer data, click yes and then connect the two computers with a USB cable. Do not use Wi-Fi or Ethernet. (I'll bet you did and that's your problem.) Next select the groups of data you want transferred. The new OS in the new computer will not be replaced.

Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.