You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe duo adapter power adapter requirements for max power charging

If I have the discontinued Apple 87W USB-C power adapter from MacBook Pro, will it deliver max power while charging as I’m not sure if that adapter supports PD 3.0.

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 10:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 9:01 PM

I'm sort of answering my own question now :) When I took a closer look at my adapter, it has some very small print that says it supports 9V/3A USB-PD in addition to other USB-PD profiles. In conclusion, the Apple 87W USB-C power adapter supports maximum power delivery of 14W to iPhone 12 Pro when charging through the MagSafe Duo.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2020 9:01 PM in response to SnickZ.

I'm sort of answering my own question now :) When I took a closer look at my adapter, it has some very small print that says it supports 9V/3A USB-PD in addition to other USB-PD profiles. In conclusion, the Apple 87W USB-C power adapter supports maximum power delivery of 14W to iPhone 12 Pro when charging through the MagSafe Duo.

Dec 16, 2020 5:41 AM in response to WillyCheung

Hello WillyCheung,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. If we're understanding correctly, you'd like to know if an 87W USB-C Power Adapter is compatible with a MagSage Duo Charger. We can help provide you additional information.

You can use an 87W USB-C Power Adapter with a MagSafe Duo Charger. Here's an article with more information: How to use your MagSafe Duo Charger with iPhone 12 models and Apple Watch

Best regards.

Magsafe duo adapter power adapter requirements for max power charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.