You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some of my projects have so few titles available?

I am using iMovie 10.2 with OS Catalina. I have noticed that each of my different projects have a different selection of titles / backgrounds available. No explanation in support. All are on the same iMovie, all 'no theme' selected. Can anyone advise how to get more titles?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:14 PM

None of what you describe shows up in my iMovie 10.1.12. I don't get "theme:no theme" under "Titles". All of my titles are displayed with every project, and I don't get an "A" symbol next to the project title in the project browser screen. So I can't replicate your issue on my computer or do any testing.

Try clicking on the Settings button located above and to the right of the timeline, and unchecking the box that says "Automatic Content". See if that makes any difference.

Also, you can add additional lines of text to a title by holding down the Option key as you press the return key on your keyboard when you reach the end of a line.

When you create a brand new project, if all of your titles show up, try going back to your original project and do an Edit//Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project. Now see if all of your titles continue to be displayed.

You might benefit from talking to the savvy techs at Apple Support. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we don't have here. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper left right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

At this point I am out of ideas. It might be a glitch in the new iMovie version. If the support people come up with something, please post back if you have time.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2020 12:14 PM in response to brijm

None of what you describe shows up in my iMovie 10.1.12. I don't get "theme:no theme" under "Titles". All of my titles are displayed with every project, and I don't get an "A" symbol next to the project title in the project browser screen. So I can't replicate your issue on my computer or do any testing.

Try clicking on the Settings button located above and to the right of the timeline, and unchecking the box that says "Automatic Content". See if that makes any difference.

Also, you can add additional lines of text to a title by holding down the Option key as you press the return key on your keyboard when you reach the end of a line.

When you create a brand new project, if all of your titles show up, try going back to your original project and do an Edit//Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project. Now see if all of your titles continue to be displayed.

You might benefit from talking to the savvy techs at Apple Support. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we don't have here. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper left right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

At this point I am out of ideas. It might be a glitch in the new iMovie version. If the support people come up with something, please post back if you have time.

-- Rich

Dec 7, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich - here is a screen shot - magnified I think it is just the ilife symbol but for some reason all the other projects I have show a strip of film where the icon goes

I'll try redownloading iMovie. Could it be a corrupted library (I'll admit I'm just putting together words iu have heard elsewhere)

cheers

Brian

Dec 6, 2020 1:43 PM in response to brijm

Hi, brijm,

It might be a corrupt preference causing the different selection of titles. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your projects.

-- Rich

Dec 6, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich; that sounded plausible but did not work. Two observations: although I deleted preferences as recommended , and it kind of worked in that iMovie started up afresh (so I got the invitation to the tutorial etc) but the same old projects cropped up (no new library). One other thing i noticed, and I have a hunch this may be relevant: in the projects page, each project has its title with a tiny film strip icon next to it; but the project that is being most difficult has what looks like a tiny 'A'. It's not the only project with a different set of titles, but it is the one with the least. Is this significant?

Dec 6, 2020 2:51 PM in response to brijm

I have never seen filmstrip or "A" symbols in the projects browser. I am running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave. Could you post a screen shot?

I would redownload iMovie, as something is amiss. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder. Now see if all of the titles display for all of your projects.

-- Rich

Dec 7, 2020 11:15 AM in response to brijm

Interesting. The "A" symbol looks a little like the Apple store icon, though not quite the same. You are running a newer version of iMovie than I am, so possibly that is the way the newer version works. I can't see what the "A" symbol would add, however.

I doubt that it is a corrupted library causing it. But, you can find out by creating a new library and copying the project into it. Then see if you get a different title display in the new library.

See if the redownload changes anything.

-- Rich

Dec 8, 2020 10:27 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich, I appreciate you sticking with me on this one. I am afraid redownloading made no difference...another thing I noticed about the project in question is that in all my other projects when I go to titles, under 'titles' it says 'theme: no theme'. Although I selected no theme for the most troublesome project, it does not saying anything about the theme. I have re-chosen 'no theme', even chosen a theme, then gone back to 'no theme'. No difference. I tried duplicating the project to see if iMovie treated it diffferently but again, exactly the same thing: I have about 10 titles (none of which allow more than a line) instead of the rich choice I get in other projects. Any ideas? Thanks

Brian

Why do some of my projects have so few titles available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.