You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install the MacOS Big Sur upgrade

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro [with Catalina]. Each time I attempt to install the Big Sur upgrade I receive this msg "An error occurred installing macOS. [and] You can try again to complete the installation." I have tried to install at least 30 times, and using a variety of methods [Safe Mode, Recovery, from different sites, and with a new Admin user]. It's always the same. Has anyone experienced the same?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 7:49 AM

Apple requires that you have 35.5 GB of available space on the installation drive before you even think about performing the upgrade to Big Sur.

I actually booted into Safe Boot mode, before rebooting into Recovery, and ran Disk Utility First Aid on my startup drive — followed by a normal reboot. I then perfomed one last Time Machine backup, and ensured that I had 50GB of available storage, just for good measure. My Big Sur upgrade was uneventful and successful.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2020 7:49 AM in response to 23Nov2020

Apple requires that you have 35.5 GB of available space on the installation drive before you even think about performing the upgrade to Big Sur.

I actually booted into Safe Boot mode, before rebooting into Recovery, and ran Disk Utility First Aid on my startup drive — followed by a normal reboot. I then perfomed one last Time Machine backup, and ensured that I had 50GB of available storage, just for good measure. My Big Sur upgrade was uneventful and successful.

Unable to install the MacOS Big Sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.