You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Billing issue

I added a credit card to my IPhone in order to make a purchase. I set it up as my default and did the transaction. I then removed the card from my device and set my previous card as the default. It is now the only card in the Settings.

I just made a purchase though, and some how it billed the credit card I had removed. It ignored the fact that the card was removed and that my bank card is set as the default as well.

Does anyone know how this has happened? I only removed it through the Settings - Wallet and Apple Pay on my device. Is there somewhere else it is somehow tied to that I need to remove it there? I’d also like to know how to get my bank card back as the default option or else I can’t make any purchases or use my phone to pay at stores as it’ll keep charging my credit card instead. I also have an IPad but no payment options are even set on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 4:20 PM

Hi Capize01,

It sounds like a payment method that you removed was billed instead of your current card, is that right? We'd like to get you some help with this.

Since you mentioned that you only removed that card under Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, let's see if the previous payment method is still associated with your Apple ID account. This page explains how to view and change the payment method for your Apple ID account: Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods

For more information about how charges are billed for purchases, and which payment method is charged, please check out this link: How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed

If you need to manage the cards you use with Apple Pay, this page should help: Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay

Thanks!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2020 4:20 PM in response to Capize01

Hi Capize01,

It sounds like a payment method that you removed was billed instead of your current card, is that right? We'd like to get you some help with this.

Since you mentioned that you only removed that card under Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, let's see if the previous payment method is still associated with your Apple ID account. This page explains how to view and change the payment method for your Apple ID account: Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods

For more information about how charges are billed for purchases, and which payment method is charged, please check out this link: How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed

If you need to manage the cards you use with Apple Pay, this page should help: Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2020 7:48 PM in response to KMB_12

Hello kareng12,

Thank you so much for your response. You were correct in that the payment method was still tied to my Apple ID and wasn’t fully removed from my account. Once I removed it from there, it was finally fully removed as a payment method. Thank you for your helpful response and for solving my issue!

Billing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.