You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic & Apple Music - Manually manage music & missing playlists?

• iMac (Late 2012)
  • macOS Catalina (version 10.15.7)
  • Apple Music (version 1.0.6.10)
  • iPod Classic (model: MC297ZP, version: 2.0.4 MAC)

I am struggling to manually manage music on a connected iPod Classic. This is the first time I have connected my iPod in months and obviously there has been numerous changes to the UI of Apple Music and how it now interfaces with external devices. Currently, Apple Music identifies the iPod as a device and I can see all songs in the device, I don't see any of my custom playlists though. Sync settings gives me more information and options to move files into the iPod, however, when 'manually manage music' is selected in the general tab, the music tab won't allow me to interact with the files on the iPod unless I sync music, which I never do as it essentially wipes the iPod classic in favour of syncing selected files.

I have noticed that I can drag and drop tracks into the iPod 'device' in Apple Music but I can't yet find a way to drag and drop or create playlists in the iPod through Apple Music as you could do in the past with iTunes.

Any advice on how to essentially use an iPod Classic in 2020 would be greatly appreciated, specifically in regards to creating playlists for iPod's and manually manage options.

Cheers!

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 10:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 5:00 AM

I've never been a fan of syncing music to the iPod. It takes away from the thorough management of files on the device that 'manually manage music' can perform. For example, the only way now to make a minor adjustment to a playlist on the iPod is by re-syncing the entire playlist through Apple Music. I want to remove ONE song from a playlist on the iPod? SYNC.

I want to add ONE song to a playlist on the iPod? SYNC. I want to rename a playlist on the iPod? SYNC.

I understand that as it stands this is the only workaround, but ****.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2020 5:00 AM in response to turingtest2

I've never been a fan of syncing music to the iPod. It takes away from the thorough management of files on the device that 'manually manage music' can perform. For example, the only way now to make a minor adjustment to a playlist on the iPod is by re-syncing the entire playlist through Apple Music. I want to remove ONE song from a playlist on the iPod? SYNC.

I want to add ONE song to a playlist on the iPod? SYNC. I want to rename a playlist on the iPod? SYNC.

I understand that as it stands this is the only workaround, but ****.

Nov 8, 2020 2:24 AM in response to iz_thewiz149

Apple's Music app in Catalina has reduced support for manually managed devices when compared to iTunes. In particular you cannot play or edit content already on the device. Playlists need to be added whole from Music using Finder. If there is content on the device that isn't in your library see Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community. Rebuild your playlists in Music. Then switch to syncing with selected playlists.

tt2

Nov 20, 2020 4:15 AM in response to iz_thewiz149

I honestly think that syncing with selected playlists is the easier method. At its most basic you make a list called say My iPod Classic, put what you want into it, and then sync that. Later when you're listening to your library you might run into an album you haven't heard in ages and think, oh, yes let's put that on my iPod, so you add it to the list. When you sync your device it gets added. When you play songs on your classic their play counts get added back into the library. Want to remove something from the iPod? It will be easier to search the playlist in Music (use View > Show Filter Field) than to use the clunky Manage Storage feature in Finder. Take it out of the list and it gets removed next time you sync. Want to create some individual playlists for the iPod? Make a playlist folder in Music, gather all the iPod playlists into it, and sync the whole playlist folder and all of its playlists. That way you can look at the folder to get a clear picture of exactly what gets to go on the device.

tt2

iPod Classic & Apple Music - Manually manage music & missing playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.