You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Perfect shapes/auto shapes not working via Markup in iOS 14.1?

Hey all - I got my new iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 14.1 and one of the first things I did is try drawing a shape (a heart) via photo Markup, and as promised, the shape automatically transformed into a perfect heart.

Fast forward to 2 weeks later, and the function has seemed to stop working? Whenever I draw a shape in Markup (whether through Messages, Mail or Photos), it does not transform anymore. I've tried multiple shapes, all drawn in one stroke, but none work. Similarly, I upgraded to iOS 14.1 on a second device (iPhone 11), but the perfect shapes do not work there either.

Is there a setting I somehow missed or turned off? I feel like I'm missing something really simple here. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 12:50 PM

SOLVED: small but important detail on how to do this. You need to HOLD your finger in place a second or two AFTER you draw your shape. I feel dumb but I also feel like the official Apple instructions don't really mention this detail anywhere? Might be useful for apparent luddites such as myself.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2020 12:50 PM in response to Mike Amin

SOLVED: small but important detail on how to do this. You need to HOLD your finger in place a second or two AFTER you draw your shape. I feel dumb but I also feel like the official Apple instructions don't really mention this detail anywhere? Might be useful for apparent luddites such as myself.

Perfect shapes/auto shapes not working via Markup in iOS 14.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.