You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waiting for printer to become available---Printer issues

I have a MacBook Pro and an HP All-in-one Printer. The two have worked well together for a couple years. Just yesterday I I began receiving a message "Waiting for printer to become available" and the printer will not print or scan. I have tried all of the troubleshooting measures. I turned the printer off, unplugged the printer and unhooked the USB connectors. Then I plugged the printer back in, hooked up the USB cable and turned the printer back on. No change. Then I deleted the printer from my computer and re-uploaded the printer. I went to HP and downloaded a new driver for the printer. All of this has led to no solution. I am still getting the same message. I think there must be some sort of virus. Any suggestions???

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 9:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 5:57 PM

After trying everything available to enable my HP Deskjet 1510 to resume printing again, I found this very helpful link ............... http://ensenso.blogspot.com/

I carefully followed the instructions & now MY PRINTER IS RUNNING PERFECTLY LIKE BEFORE !

Thank you ensenso blogspot.

Hopefully, you will have the same success too.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2020 5:57 PM in response to TJB12

After trying everything available to enable my HP Deskjet 1510 to resume printing again, I found this very helpful link ............... http://ensenso.blogspot.com/

I carefully followed the instructions & now MY PRINTER IS RUNNING PERFECTLY LIKE BEFORE !

Thank you ensenso blogspot.

Hopefully, you will have the same success too.

Oct 27, 2020 9:54 AM in response to TJB12

TJB12 wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro and an HP All-in-one Printer. The two have worked well together for a couple years. Just yesterday I I began receiving a message "Waiting for printer to become available" and the printer will not print or scan. I have tried all of the troubleshooting measures. I turned the printer off, unplugged the printer and unhooked the USB connectors. Then I plugged the printer back in, hooked up the USB cable and turned the printer back on. No change. Then I deleted the printer from my computer and re-uploaded the printer. I went to HP and downloaded a new driver for the printer. All of this has led to no solution. I am still getting the same message. I think there must be some sort of virus. Any suggestions???

Do not feel alone here, there is currently a HP issue…And we are flooded with similar complaints

Open >System Preferences>Software Update (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

or Apple direct download:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

If you have continued issue:

download this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:

ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg 

download link above at the ftp address

If you still have issue— it is listed as AirPrint printer, delete the existing printer in

> System Preferences> Printers & Scanners, and add it again, select AirPrint.

Waiting for printer to become available---Printer issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.