You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB SSD drive do not show up anymore

Hi!

I have problem with 2014 mid Macbook pro Catalina. My usb ssd drive do not show up anymore in finder, device list, disk utility etc. There is about 150gb information on this disk. I might have pulled off this ssd drive improperly after that iOS do not recognize this device anymore. This device is showing up only in recovery mode disk utility. There is no option for repair or something like that. I tried to google this situation but no help.

Please help.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 1:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 11:33 PM

Mac OS Catalina is the software. No connecting it to iPhone. SSD is NTFS using NTFS to Mac software to move files. This SSD drive to not show up in boot camp installed windows on mac also. Other computers show this ssd drive. I have used this ssd drive 1-2 weeks everything was fine. Then was some notification that this ssd has not ejected correctly. After that this ssd never showed up in finder, disk utility etc.

I tried to close NTFS to Mac software and problem was there. This software has some conflict with Mac OS security and needed to allow to use this extension. After that problem gone.

Thank you!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 11:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

Mac OS Catalina is the software. No connecting it to iPhone. SSD is NTFS using NTFS to Mac software to move files. This SSD drive to not show up in boot camp installed windows on mac also. Other computers show this ssd drive. I have used this ssd drive 1-2 weeks everything was fine. Then was some notification that this ssd has not ejected correctly. After that this ssd never showed up in finder, disk utility etc.

I tried to close NTFS to Mac software and problem was there. This software has some conflict with Mac OS security and needed to allow to use this extension. After that problem gone.

Thank you!

Oct 11, 2020 2:18 PM in response to viltsone

I might have pulled off this ssd drive improperly after that iOS do not recognize this device anymore.

How were you connecting it to your iPhone? That might have something to do with the problem.

How is the SSD formatted? If it was NTFS (Windows) as it probably came out of the box, maybe the software you used to write to it is blocking mounting of the drive. Seems to make sense if it shows up in Recovery.

USB SSD drive do not show up anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.