You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking folder with question mark

I have a 2007 MacBook running MacOS X 10.6.8. However since October 2019, Whenever i attenpt to turn it on, it gives me a blinking folder with a question mark on it? Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 3:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 10:52 PM

Most likely the hard drive has failed.

You can try booting your OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD to see if you can use Disk Utility First Aid to repair the file system. If the file system is Ok, then you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself.

I hope you have a backup of your data because if the drive is failing, then the more you use it the worse the failure will get to where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to recover any data.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2020 10:52 PM in response to flyguy1982

Most likely the hard drive has failed.

You can try booting your OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD to see if you can use Disk Utility First Aid to repair the file system. If the file system is Ok, then you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself.

I hope you have a backup of your data because if the drive is failing, then the more you use it the worse the failure will get to where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to recover any data.

Oct 9, 2020 8:45 PM in response to flyguy1982

If you don't care about the data and reinstalling macOS over top of itself doesn't work, then you can try performing a clean install by first erasing the drive before reinstalling macOS. If you are attempting to reinstall OSX 10.6 and need to erase the drive, then follow these instructions to properly partition and format the drive:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

If erasing the drive fails or the clean install doesn't work, then most likely the hard drive has failed.

Blinking folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.