You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set up my sim on ipad mini 5

Why can’t I get to use my sim and send messages as text, rather it is sending as an i message..?

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 9:26 AM

You need to make the changes on the iPhone to share its SMS/MMS texting with the iPad.

See -> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 30, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Vtangel

Are you sure you bought a WiFi+cellular iPad? If your iPad is WiFi only or if it is WiFi+cellular then it can only send or receive SMS/MMS texts when paired with an iPhone using iOS continuity. Even with a cellular data connection, SMS requires a cellular telephone voice connection, which no iPad can do.

You must have an iPhone to send or receive SMS/MMS texts with an iPad. Without an iPhone, every iPad is limited to only internet messaging services - iMessage, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp Web (although you’ll need a cellular telephone to create a WhatsApp account to begin with).

set up my sim on ipad mini 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.