You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 14 - parental controls GONE?

With the new software update, I can no longer use parental controls for my kids’ phones!! Where did it go?!

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 6:30 AM

A couple of suggestions / heads up for parental control software users:

Plainly put, the new parental control features suck....

1) After installing a parental control Mobile Device Manager, (Covenant Eyes, Net Nanny, etc) my kid is able to remove it without needing a password unlike the previous IOS software. Literally takes two seconds. Only notification you’ll get is from the parental monitoring app on the parent’s device

This is where Apple’s screen time “Could” back you up if they take the time to allow you to block specific apps indefinitely.

2) Not allowed to block specific apps but I can allow specific apps???? How does that work? If I don’t want my kid on Reddit for example. I can’t go into screen time, and search for the app or put in the app’s name to block it from even making its way into the phone. Okay fine I’ll just block the time limit on the app. Come to find you can still access the app for at least two minutes! There’s no “0” time setting for time limits on apps. I set the one minute, the minute runs out, the kid can get an extra minute by pressing “ask for more time” giving them a total of 2 minutes on the app when I don’t even want one.

the screen time idea is great but when folks can’t block specific apps from even making their way onto devices or set a zero time limit on apps, and lastly create a security or passcode requirement before deleting VPN / MDM profiles, kinda makes it hard to limit what your kid can and can’t see.

I really wish they would add that feature to this new IOS update. Too bad you cant downgrade IOS systems

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2020 6:30 AM in response to alwellborn

A couple of suggestions / heads up for parental control software users:

Plainly put, the new parental control features suck....

1) After installing a parental control Mobile Device Manager, (Covenant Eyes, Net Nanny, etc) my kid is able to remove it without needing a password unlike the previous IOS software. Literally takes two seconds. Only notification you’ll get is from the parental monitoring app on the parent’s device

This is where Apple’s screen time “Could” back you up if they take the time to allow you to block specific apps indefinitely.

2) Not allowed to block specific apps but I can allow specific apps???? How does that work? If I don’t want my kid on Reddit for example. I can’t go into screen time, and search for the app or put in the app’s name to block it from even making its way into the phone. Okay fine I’ll just block the time limit on the app. Come to find you can still access the app for at least two minutes! There’s no “0” time setting for time limits on apps. I set the one minute, the minute runs out, the kid can get an extra minute by pressing “ask for more time” giving them a total of 2 minutes on the app when I don’t even want one.

the screen time idea is great but when folks can’t block specific apps from even making their way onto devices or set a zero time limit on apps, and lastly create a security or passcode requirement before deleting VPN / MDM profiles, kinda makes it hard to limit what your kid can and can’t see.

I really wish they would add that feature to this new IOS update. Too bad you cant downgrade IOS systems

IOS 14 - parental controls GONE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.