You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.4.10 Slowing Everything Down

Ever since I downloaded the latest version of FCPX 10.4.10 my MacBook Pro has slowed while editing. Rendering takes twice as long, playback unrendered segments is tough.

I've tried editing in proxy clips etc. but that's also slow. Seems that this version eats up more memory to operate?

MacBook 15 inch 2015 with 16 GB ram.

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 3:59 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Sep 26, 2020 7:45 PM in response to D.A.C.

D.A.C. wrote:

Tom, if you can tell me what you are specifically looking for I can try to provide it to you. Since I am not computer friendly, I am reluctant to share a lot information about my system on the internet for everyone to see.

D.A.C. I have precisely the same issue you flagged here, but I have a newer MacBook Pro (15" 2019, Core i9 8-core 2.3Ghz, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB).

And to all:

I also noticed the sensor temperatures (shown by iStat) are sky high (up to 100ºC on CPU sensors!). I don't even know if 100ºC is something acceptable for a 10-minute task or if my Mac is melting already – does anyone know the answer?

I have added plugins from 3rd party vendors (such as mVFX) and I sent their support an e-mail sharing my situation and asking for feedback regarding needed updates and/or fixes on their products. I'll post it in here if I hear it from them.

Lastly, D.A.C. I just downloaded EtreCheck to help you on providing log for this forum (by the way the app in the AppStore is not available in every country - at least not in Brazil App Store), so what I think the guys here are looking for is to:

• Open EtreCheck app;
    • Run the diagnostic under the best option that fits your issue;
    • After the app finishes running it, you will have a diagnostic screen;
    • in the tool bar (top portion of the window) you'll have the "Share Report" button;
    • Click there and then click on "Copy Report";
    • You'll be presented a "suggestion" pop up from EtreCheck – just skip it;
    • And you're done - your full log report will be in your clipboard. Make sure to not copy (cmd+c) anything because you'd overwrite your clipboard content;
    • Come here in the forum and paste it (cmd+V) for these savvy guys to try to help you!

Hope it helps – and also hope you guys can provide more insights on my additional doubts aforementioned.

Thank you all!

Sep 25, 2020 8:37 PM in response to D.A.C.

You could try the simple things like resetting preferences and deleting generated renders. To reset preferences, hold down option and command while launching FCPX, then choose Delete Preferences. Open your working library and set your prefs back to the way you like them.

To remove render files, first turn off Background Rendering in Preferences, then select the library in the browser and choose File->Delete Generated Library files..., then Delete Render Files->All.

It's also possible that you have 3rd party plugins that are broken in FCPX 10.4.9/10.4.10 and need to be updated from the developer's site. Users here have reported that the CoreMelt plugins require a complete uninstall and reinstall with the updated version for example. I'm not sure but it sounds like just having them installed but not actually in use is enough to cause slowdowns or crashy behavior.

Try resetting preferences and removing render files first. If that doesn't work we'll need more info to help you diagnose.

Sep 25, 2020 8:45 PM in response to terryb

These are great ideas. Thanks, I will give them a try. I spoke with Apple tech support, they said that my MacBook was an older laptop and the software may be too demanding. 16gigs of memory is probably borderline low, but it’s still seems strange. I use the MacBook for editing when I’m not in my edit suite, and it is a bit slower in performance, but this was pretty sudden when I updated the app. Sounds like your idea may be a good try. Thanks!

Sep 26, 2020 7:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The only issue it reported was hard drive space is running low. When I work in FCPX I work on an external G-tech drive. That drive is performing normally because I am working with it on another Mac.

Here is other information from the report:

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Vintage!

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro11,4

2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (i7-4770HQ) CPU: 4-core

16 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1600 

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1600 

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 36

Video Information:

Intel Iris Pro - VRAM: 1536 MB

Color LCD (built-in) 2880 x 1800

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE SSD SM0256G 251.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Internal PCI 8.0 GT/s x4 Serial ATA

Sep 26, 2020 8:05 AM in response to D.A.C.

That's the problem. It's really hard to tell without seeing the system. We're guessing. There are many potential problems in hardware and software that can cause problems. You can read the report and see if there's anything there that might concern your privacy. The report only lists the hardware configuration, the running applications, recent installations, and system extensions. It doesn't include any information about any files create by the applications.

FCPX 10.4.10 Slowing Everything Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.