You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not losing Photo Order

How can I be sure that I not lose the order of my photos when upgrading from Sierra 10.12.6 so I can get new Microsoft upgrade? It's vitally important that I keep the photos in the order in which I took them for a huge project.

Thanks!

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 12:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 12:44 PM

It should be fine - the capture date is stored in the image file. If you want to be double safe I'd export all image originals to an external drive, so they can be re-imported if everything went horribly wrong. (Select all images, File>export>export unmodified original)

I assume you already have an up to date backup in place, which you should always have before a significant upgrade. (in fact, which you should always have full stop)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2020 12:44 PM in response to georgianna1596

It should be fine - the capture date is stored in the image file. If you want to be double safe I'd export all image originals to an external drive, so they can be re-imported if everything went horribly wrong. (Select all images, File>export>export unmodified original)

I assume you already have an up to date backup in place, which you should always have before a significant upgrade. (in fact, which you should always have full stop)

Sep 25, 2020 2:35 PM in response to georgianna1596

What is the project? Many projects in Catalina do not have the same themes as similar projects had in earlier versions. If you can clone your current boot drive to an external HD, preferably an SSD, so you can boot into it to complete the project if you find Photos in Catalina has lost the organization of your project.

Also be aware that Catalina will not work with 32 bit apps. You should download and run the free GO64 app to see which of your apps will have to be updates, upgraded or replaced with an alternative when running Catalina.

Not losing Photo Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.