You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video footage blacked out when importing from iPhone XS to FCPX

When I import media form my iPhone XS into FCPX, sometimes - on rare occasions, but enough for it to cause me problems - the footage comes through black out. The audio is fine. Happens if I drag the clips in or I cmd + I them in.

I can see this is a problem a lot of people have said they have:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251287838

It never got resolved. I'm using Catalina with FCPX 10.4.8

This has only happened to me since upgrading, but could be a coincidence?

The footage doesn't work if I drag it into my timeline from the downloads folder, or if I put it into the library first. Also, even if I create a new project (same library) or even a new library the importing doesn't work. Still blacked out.

To note, this works for most clips from ym iPhone most of the time. Just occasionally this happens. The video is question plays fine (audio and visuals) on my MacBook Pro outside of FCPX, so it's an import issue.

Can you help? I made a 30 second YouTube video demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/AdsiacplcsU

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 2:45 AM

OK resolved!!!!

I just converted it in QuickTime and it worked when I imported it back into FCPX.

Nothing fancy just played it in QuickTime, went to File > Export As > 1080p and that saved version worked.

Was driving me mad. We shouldn't have to do this at all, it's clearly a known bug, but there you go. I think it's a big with iPhone and FCPX compatibility (ludicrously, as they're both Apple!). Other searches find people are having the same occasional problem with iPhone footage. Also note, FCPX has a problem with iPhone footage and pixellating it for frames unless you optimise media. That is also a known issue.

Anyway, a really simple work around. Phew.

This issue is now closed for me. Thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2020 2:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

OK resolved!!!!

I just converted it in QuickTime and it worked when I imported it back into FCPX.

Nothing fancy just played it in QuickTime, went to File > Export As > 1080p and that saved version worked.

Was driving me mad. We shouldn't have to do this at all, it's clearly a known bug, but there you go. I think it's a big with iPhone and FCPX compatibility (ludicrously, as they're both Apple!). Other searches find people are having the same occasional problem with iPhone footage. Also note, FCPX has a problem with iPhone footage and pixellating it for frames unless you optimise media. That is also a known issue.

Anyway, a really simple work around. Phew.

This issue is now closed for me. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2020 7:32 AM in response to mokershipping

What are the settings of this clip?

Open in Quicktime Player, press command-I and post a screenshot of the Movie Inspector.

Are they identical to other clips?

Does it work if you optimize the clip in FCP?

Does it work if you convert the video in the Finder before importing?

[control-click, choose Services->Encode Selected Video Files... and choose ProRes or H264]

Video footage blacked out when importing from iPhone XS to FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.