You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand 10.3.5 & JamPacks

I recently found my old GarageBand JamPacks (Symphony Orchestra, Remix Tools, and World Music). I am trying to find out of there is any way to import these into the current build of GarageBand 10.3.5? Some of the loops (etc.) on these discs are amazing and I would like to be able to use them. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Apple Community. You're all amazing!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 7:59 AM

The installers from the old Jam Pack disks do not run on a Mac with Catalina. Some of them are even including PowerPC Code. You could copy the contents of the installer to a folder on your Mac and ctrl-click the installer and use "Show Package Contents". See, if you can find the instruments inside and copy them out. I did not keep the old installers.

Do you still have a an old backup from an earlier system version, where you had the JamPacks installed?

Then check the backup and look at the libraries mentioned in this Support document (GarageBand, Logic: Where loops get installed - Apple Support) for the instruments and loops from the JamPacks. You can simply copy them over and install them in the corresponding folders.

If you never uninstalled GarageBand '11 and kept it installed alongside GarageBand 10, the JamPacks may still be there and ready to use. GarageBand 10 is showing the instruments from the Jam Packs in the Legacy section of the Instrument Library.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 7:59 AM in response to DJ_Get_Bizzy

The installers from the old Jam Pack disks do not run on a Mac with Catalina. Some of them are even including PowerPC Code. You could copy the contents of the installer to a folder on your Mac and ctrl-click the installer and use "Show Package Contents". See, if you can find the instruments inside and copy them out. I did not keep the old installers.

Do you still have a an old backup from an earlier system version, where you had the JamPacks installed?

Then check the backup and look at the libraries mentioned in this Support document (GarageBand, Logic: Where loops get installed - Apple Support) for the instruments and loops from the JamPacks. You can simply copy them over and install them in the corresponding folders.

If you never uninstalled GarageBand '11 and kept it installed alongside GarageBand 10, the JamPacks may still be there and ready to use. GarageBand 10 is showing the instruments from the Jam Packs in the Legacy section of the Instrument Library.

Sep 22, 2020 8:05 AM in response to léonie

I used the easy way out and installed the JamPacks again by buying MainStage 3. It is a bargain price compared to the price for the original Jam Packs. Installing MainStage 3 will install all five JamPacks: https://discussions.apple.com/message/31642404?ac_cid=tw123456#31642404

MainStage is installing the Sound Library and the Loops in the same directories as GarageBand or Logic. So GarageBand will see them. But not all sounds and loops are compatible with GarageBand. Mainly the JamPacks and compatibility loops and sounds will work, but that plenty of very useful software instrument loops and sounds.

After installing MainStage 3, launch it and use the command "MainStage 3 > Sound Library > Open Sound Library Manager".

When the Manager opens, scroll down to the "Legacy" section and click the disclosure arrow.

select the Jam Packs you want to use. I installed all from the Legacy section.

Click the checkmarks to the left of the JamPack you want and then "Install". The packages are gigantic. You will see the size when you select them. Start with the ones you really want. The download may take a very long time.

After installing the sounds and loops, restart the Mac. Then launch GarageBand and use the command "Loops > Reindex All Loops" from the Loops Browser.

GarageBand 10.3.5 & JamPacks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.