You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ringer and alerts" volume changes even though "Change with Buttons" is off

I have always had the "Change with buttons" option turned off on my iPhone for controlling the volume of my ringer and alerts.

About a month ago, the ringer/alert volume seemed to set itself to almost silent. (Note: not completely silent.) It caused me to miss a number of calls and messages. I had to go into the Settings app to set it back to an audible level.

This afternoon, the ringer/alert volume set itself to almost maximum volume. I was in a Zoom meeting and received a phone call... the ringtone was comically loud, and embarrassing. I had to go back to the Settings app and reset the volume to a reasonable level.

Question: If my "Ringer and alerts" volume can't be changed with the buttons, then how is it getting changed, and how can I stop these changes? This is ridiculous.

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 12:20 AM

This is part of the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF.

Axel F.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2020 12:20 AM in response to motrek

This is part of the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF.

Axel F.

Sep 18, 2020 2:15 AM in response to motrek

Yep. I read your post. I didn't know which model iPhone you have and had to make an assumption and therefore my answer your above. I still do not know which iPhone you have (except that you do not have Face ID).

Knowing that now, I do not have an answer for your issue. Perhaps someone else reading this forum and your post may be able to answer. Thanks.

Axel F.

Sep 18, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Axel Foley

Did you read my post?

First I said that the volume was turned down such that I missed calls and messages... I wouldn't have missed those calls and messages if I was looking at the screen.

Then I said that the volume turned itself up to almost maximum, which I would have never done manually... how could turning the volume all the way up be part of an "Attention Aware" feature, or any other useful feature?

Also, BTW, my iPhone does not have FaceID.

Oct 9, 2020 12:05 PM in response to motrek

I have had the sam issue since updating to IOS 14.0.1

I have contacted Apple support today who have offered some suggestions in order to fix this.

I have carried out the following earlier today and so far it has worked with no random ringer and alert volume muting occurring.

1. back up your iPhone to a Mac or PC if possible.
  2. Factory reset your device
  3. reconnect to Mac or PC and restore as a new Phone and NOT from a previous back up
  4. Once set up connect back up to Mac or PC and factory reset again.
  5. Now restore the device to your last back up

So far, this has worked for me but it's only been about 8 hours so it's early days.

Hopefully this has finally cured this very annoying problem!

Oct 9, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Ferno999

Thanks for this update, Ferno999. I appreciate it.

Right now I'm reluctant to go through all the trouble of wiping and restoring my phone using this process. It seems like a time-consuming, generic "turn it off and back on again" procedure to solve problems, with no reason to hope that it would solve this problem specifically.

And, since this problem has only happened to me twice in the last couple months, it would take weeks/months to be able to even guess whether or not the process worked.

I hope that it has worked for you, though! Fingers crossed. Hopefully the fact that you contacted Apple Support about this will put the problem on their radar, at least.

"Ringer and alerts" volume changes even though "Change with Buttons" is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.