You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need many files in Relocated Items

I used to keep a lot of folders of things I needed at the top level on my hard drive. When I upgraded to Catalina, it put them all in the relocated items folder. It will not let me drop them into the hard drive. I have moved most of them to my "desktop" now (it did not move them, it "copied" them), but can't figure out where to put them. There are a LOT. I don't understand the new file structure (obviously I didn't understand the OLD file structure either). Can someone explain it to me or send me a "file structure for dummies" tutorial so I can figure out how to deal with all these folders?

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 11:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 12:08 PM

I used to keep a lot of folders of things I needed at the top level on my hard drive.

That was just bad practice before, but is now prohibited in Catalina.

Put them somewhere in your Home folder.

Your home has a few built-in folders for types of files (Documents, Movies, Pictures, Music), but you can do whatever you want.

Create whatever folder structure you want inside your Home folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2020 12:08 PM in response to incagirl

I used to keep a lot of folders of things I needed at the top level on my hard drive.

That was just bad practice before, but is now prohibited in Catalina.

Put them somewhere in your Home folder.

Your home has a few built-in folders for types of files (Documents, Movies, Pictures, Music), but you can do whatever you want.

Create whatever folder structure you want inside your Home folder.

Sep 16, 2020 12:08 PM in response to incagirl

The Macintosh HD is actually in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/

The Desktop is actually in /Volumes/boot volume (can be Macintosh HD)/Users/currentlyloggedinuser/Desktop

currentlyloggedinuser has their folder also known as the home folder.

Subfolders such as Pictures have libraries controlled Photos App and Music by iTunes.

Documents have preassigned document folders by Microsoft Office that should not be moved.

Currentlyloggedinuser, Desktop, and Documents are going to be your primary places to store items.

The floating taskbar, known as the Dock is just a shortcut location. Anything else require administrative privileges to write information and could potentially make your system unstable.

Applications folder in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications are where all users can access programs installed to use on the computer.

Library folders should only be accessed for troubleshooting purposes. Do not use any cleanup utilities.

Devon Technologies EasyFind can help you locate files on your hard drive and help you relocate them to the correct folders.

Outside of the folders stated.

I need many files in Relocated Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.