You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 16 wont turn on

Hi guys,

I picked up a MacBook Pro 16” when it launched. I brought it home and set it up and then put it away. It’s been stored since then. The battery cycle count would probably be at 2 or 3!

today I retired my 2017 MBP and took this out as my daily driver. But the macbook won’t turn on. It just shows the red batter symbol and nothing happens.

I have had it on charge for over 5 hours now and still nothing.

this really stings! I’m going to have to take a brand new MacBook in for service that I haven’t even used yet.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 9:49 PM

intolaomair Said:

"macbook pro 16 wont turn on"

-------

I. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down: the shift key upon boot. While in Safe Mode, cashes are set aside, and login items do not run when logged in. So, see if you can log in using Safe Mode.

II. Reset the NVRAM too:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power and for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports, or your battery may not be charging affectively. By reseting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be. Note that you may need to perform each reset thrice. This can be time consuming, to be certain you have the time to do so.

III. Boot into Recovery Mode:

1. Hold Down: command + R upon boot.
  2. Go in to: Disk Utilities
  3. Select: the hard drive
  4. Click: First Aid

See what happens.

And, if nothing above works...

IV. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].

V. References on Power Issues:

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2020 9:49 PM in response to intolaomair

intolaomair Said:

-------

I. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down: the shift key upon boot. While in Safe Mode, cashes are set aside, and login items do not run when logged in. So, see if you can log in using Safe Mode.

II. Reset the NVRAM too:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power and for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports, or your battery may not be charging affectively. By reseting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be. Note that you may need to perform each reset thrice. This can be time consuming, to be certain you have the time to do so.

III. Boot into Recovery Mode:

1. Hold Down: command + R upon boot.
  2. Go in to: Disk Utilities
  3. Select: the hard drive
  4. Click: First Aid

See what happens.

And, if nothing above works...

IV. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].

V. References on Power Issues:

Sep 10, 2020 11:36 PM in response to intolaomair

intolaomair Said:

Faulty Device:

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

Right now, there is Send-in Service. So, is this 2017 MacBook Pro still covered under AppleCare? If so, see if Send-In Service is an option to you. This may be a Faulty Device. So, contact Apple Support and request this be looked into.

How Send-In Service Works:

1. They’d: ship you a box
  2. You’d: ship it back
  3. They’d: look at it
  4. You’d: get a new one, if approved.
  • Apple Contact Us:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

IV. NOTE:

Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

Sep 24, 2020 12:10 AM in response to intolaomair

Hi itolaomair,  

I'm in the same situation, when I open the lid of my brand new Macbook Pro 16 for the first time it does not power on. I also ordered my Macbook in early April and just now got it in my hands and opened the box to find this exact situation. What was the problem? Did Apple exchange your macbook or was it repaired? 

Tahnk you! 

macbook pro 16 wont turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.