You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library.photoslibrary”. (3142)

I am a new user to Mac. I was trying to place the "Photos Library.photoslibrary" in the finder. However, I wasn't satisfied by just seeing it under the Picture Folder. I wanted the photos in it to be seen. I was thinking that maybe putting it to the trash, it will go back to how it is. But later did I realize I was deleting it so I immediately cancelled moving it to trash. But I wasn't able to open it anymore even though I cancelled moving it. How do you resolve this? By the way, I haven't emptied my trash and I don't have any backup

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 10:09 AM

1. DO NOT empty Trash!
  2. Quit Photos app on your Mac
  3. If the "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file is in Trash, move it back to where it was "under the Picture Folder" (Original Location).
  4. Then re-launch or open the Photos app.

Does your library open now?

Similar questions

2 replies

Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library.photoslibrary”. (3142)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.