You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not unlocking Mac Book Pro

My Apple Watch in not unlocking my MacBook Pro - used to work before I did system reset. When trying to fix it in System Preferences/Security&Privacy, I click the box for the watch to unlock the Mac, is says: "Your Apple Watch must be signed in to iCloud to allow it to unlock your Mac". My Watch has always been signed into iCloud

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:50 AM

7 replies

Aug 23, 2020 6:30 AM in response to manish_techment

Hello manish_techment,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're happy to help with this issue you'er having with unlocking your MacBook Pro with your Apple Watch. You mentioned performing a system reset. Was this a reset of the MacBook or the companion iPhone? In either case, are both devices currently signed in to the same Apple ID? Follow the steps here to confirm:

Sign in with your Apple ID

We'd also like to have you restart the Apple Watch following the instructions here:

How to restart your Apple Watch

Let us know the outcome, and we can go from there if needed.

Have a great day!

Aug 24, 2020 2:31 PM in response to manish_techment

Hi manish_techment,

Thanks for checking that for us. Let's look into this further to find a fix for your issue. We now want to make sure all the software on your devices is up-to-date. For the macOS version, click the Apple() in the upper left corner and click "About This Mac”to locate this info. For the iPhone, go to Settings > General > About, and for the Apple Watch go to Settings > My Watch > General > About. Let us know what you find, as we may need to perform some software updates to get things working as expected.

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2020 2:55 PM in response to manish_techment

Verify your Apple Watch is signed into the same WiFi network as your Macbook Pro.

Apple Watch -> Settings -> Wi-FI -> Choose Network (if and only if your primary network has not been selected).

Mac -> System Preferences -> Network -> Choose Wi-Fi interface in left column -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi tab

Make sure your home network is at the top of the "Preferred Networks" list. If it is not, then drag it to the top of the list.

Back at

Mac -> System Preferences -> Network -> Choose Wi-Fi interface in left column

make sure Status: Connected says "Wi-Fi is connected to "same Wi-Fi as your Apple Watch"

Check that your Mac's Bluetooth Preferences, sees your iPhone

Mac -> System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Devices -> Your iPhone should be in the list

You may need to open your iPhone -> Settings -> Bluetooth.

YOU DO NOT need to pair the Mac and the iPhone, you just want that they can see each other.

Do the reverse, and on your iPhone make sure it can see your Mac via Bluetooth

iPhone -> Settings -> Bluetooth.

Your Mac should appear at the bottom of the list in "Other Devices"

Again you DO NOT want to pair, you just want to make sure they can see each other. You may need to have the Mac's Bluetooth Preferences open for the iPhone to see the Mac.

Apple Watch not unlocking Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.