You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Mac Mini sound - missing drivers?

Late 2014 Mini doesn’t offer internal speakers or headphones as options in System Preferences for sound output (used to be available). Only options are Airplay ones. In Logic Pro Preferences, the Audio output selectIon is greyed out, even though Core Audio is checked, and when I click Apply, a pop-up says “Selected Driver not found”. I reinstalled Mojave, but nothing changed.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 7:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 1:54 AM

Try Re-setting the PRAM / NVRAM. Following the link to Apple Support page https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204063

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 15, 2020 7:42 AM in response to PRP_53

I did try that, thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately, assuming I did the reset properly, it didn’t fix it. HOWEVER - here’s interesting . . . If I boot from an external USB drive running Sierra, instead of Mojave on the Mini, I still don’t get the internal speakers or headphones option, BUT, since the Mini’s display is actually a hidef TV with HDMI, the sound preferences pane does offer the HDMI option, Logic sees it too, and the Mini is outputting sound. It’s not an ideal solution, Sierra is not Mohave, spinning umbrellas everywhere, but the fact remains that Sierra on a USB drive offers the HDMI audio, whereas Mohave on the internal drive does not. Fascinating.

Aug 15, 2020 1:04 PM in response to Jeff Pinkerton

Before starting any further, suggest a full TimeMachine Backup and also a Full Bootable Clone or 2 to external SSD / HD of existing SSD / HD.

Boot in Recovery Mode ( cold boot and hold Command + R immediately) Once in Recovery, choose to Re-Install Mojave over the top of existing installation ( In Place Installation). This will not delete anything and MAY put things right.

Aug 17, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Jeff Pinkerton

This may sound ( pun not intended ) too simple but try plugging in a pair of headphones into socket. Do you get sound in headphones? If yes, have a look at system preferences and see if things are correct once again.

Have a MM 2011 had connected via HMDI to 27 inch Monitor or sometimes to also via HDMI to 32 HD TV. Each time at startup, can hear internal speaker only until loading macOS HS and then sound is passed to Monitor / TV

Aug 18, 2020 1:46 AM in response to PRP_53

No luck. My next option is to clone a MacBook Pro Mojave 1Tb, which works fine, to the 1Tb Mac Mini, so everything will be identical in terms of software. Using SuperDuper for that. If that doesn’t work it has to be a hardware issue and I’ll look at repair options.

Thanks again for your help, very impressive support and responsiveness.

Aug 19, 2020 1:01 AM in response to PRP_53

I'm declaring victory! The cloning from my MacBook Pro was successful. Even though the Mini can't see the internal speakers or headphone jack, it doesn't matter (to me). All I want it for is to run Logic, and now, unlike before, Logic can see the Roland RD2000 keyboard as its input device. Now that that's done, I just told Logic that the RD2000 was also the output device. That connects to the amp, so I have everything I need the Mini for - running Logic and getting sound out. It's still a faulty Mini, but sufficient for me.

Again, many thanks for your interest and your support.

No Mac Mini sound - missing drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.