You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting/Messaging Non-iPhone User When No Cellular Signal?

There were some discussions about this a while back, when technology was not quite as fancy. Wonder if ability may now exist.

I occasionally travel to a location with WiFi, but no cell signal. Can iMessage with WiFi others with iPhones, but sometimes I need to text others who do not have iPhones. Message won't send since no cellular signal. Is there any method, whether a newer iOS feature or app for purchase or online program, where I could text or email on WiFi and someone with an Android or other non-iPhone device would receive it as a text message? (While I could send as an email, some people never check that.) I realize there are some apps like Messenger or others, but I wouldn't know what these third parties have on their phones. Looking for a general solution.)

Appreciate any suggestions.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 11:20 AM

No.

SMS uses the voice channel of the cellular network.

1 reply

Texting/Messaging Non-iPhone User When No Cellular Signal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.