You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS Mail no longer allowing swipe to archive.

Some recent change has made my iOS Mail app not allow to swipe right for archive.

Issue:

I have the mail app setup to swipe right to archive, swipe left to flag with all its options.

This has worked up till this morning. I don't know if there was an update last night that occurred that I am not aware of, but its no longer allowing swipe right with the setting of Archive.

I have done the following to try to resolve the issue:

1. Rebooted phone. (Never hurts)
  2. Changed the setting for swipe right to mark as Read. (This works fine)
  3. Tried to change swipe left to archive, but that is not an option.
  4. Changed the settings for the mail to swipe left and right anything else other than what I had originally set before. (Worked)

I am unable to get it to work with archive now.

Was this option removed? If so WHY? It was very useful to me to just go down my mail and swipe to archive mail that I didn't want. It would be even better to swipe to delete, but I understand wanting to have a second step for that.

Please respond as soon as possible. This impacts my workflow tremendously.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 8:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 8:13 AM

Settings > Password and Accounts > [Tap and open the email]

Outlook / Exchange: Tap on Account > Advance Settings > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

[Move Discarded Messages into]

Gmail / Yahoo / AOL : Tap on Account > Advanced > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

iCloud: [Scroll Down] Under Advanced Section: Mail > Advanced > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

What you check here is what you get when you swipe left on an email message.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2020 8:13 AM in response to cjwelle

Settings > Password and Accounts > [Tap and open the email]

Outlook / Exchange: Tap on Account > Advance Settings > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

Gmail / Yahoo / AOL : Tap on Account > Advanced > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

iCloud: [Scroll Down] Under Advanced Section: Mail > Advanced > Check what you need Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

What you check here is what you get when you swipe left on an email message.

Aug 7, 2020 8:18 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for the follow up. I know now where I can set to delete if it worked.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue.

The action to swipe right on mail messages doesn't work at all. The horizontal message bar does not move to the right at all. It just treats the finger action as a click and opens the mail.

I hope that this helps, especially if others are experiencing the same issue.

Thank you.

IOS Mail no longer allowing swipe to archive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.