You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two of my apps refuse to load and open.

Two of my apps refuse to load and open. One, 'Empire Express', I have been using for a number of years successfully. Recently it refuses to open just generating a crash report. (See attached)

The other is a new app 'Cuprum' downloaded from the app store. Same problem just generates a crash report.

With both apps their respective support personel say that I am the only one with this problem, all other customers report no problems.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening?

I have deleted both apps. Emptied the bin and reloaded the apps. The same thing keeps happening.

macOS Catalina V 10.15.6

Mac 27" Late 2013

Empire Express Crash Report:-

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 1:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 7:24 AM

Applications have a shelf life, and if their developer does not keep them current (and tested) with the current release of macOS, they can fail. Since Catalina only supports 64-bit applications, those applications that are not 32-bit, 64-bit with 32-bit helper applications, or 64-bit and not yet compatible with Catalina will fail.

Cuprum (v1.7.16) was last updated 4 weeks ago, and should not have crashed with 10.15.6, though its compatbility indicates 10.12 or later. Contact the developer about your crash occurrence.

It pays to keep Pages, Numbers, and Keynote up to date, in case Apple releases a future version that requires a newer major operating system upgrade. These applications are all presently at v10.1, and you have v10.0.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2020 7:24 AM in response to RoyHan

Applications have a shelf life, and if their developer does not keep them current (and tested) with the current release of macOS, they can fail. Since Catalina only supports 64-bit applications, those applications that are not 32-bit, 64-bit with 32-bit helper applications, or 64-bit and not yet compatible with Catalina will fail.

Cuprum (v1.7.16) was last updated 4 weeks ago, and should not have crashed with 10.15.6, though its compatbility indicates 10.12 or later. Contact the developer about your crash occurrence.

It pays to keep Pages, Numbers, and Keynote up to date, in case Apple releases a future version that requires a newer major operating system upgrade. These applications are all presently at v10.1, and you have v10.0.

Aug 6, 2020 8:34 AM in response to RoyHan

About the only thing left is a re-install...

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Aug 5, 2020 6:16 AM in response to RoyHan

Delete these files & restart...

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.RunappDaemon.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ecamm.printopia.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Runapp.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Opera_Helper.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Aug 4, 2020 1:35 PM in response to RoyHan

Not enough useful data for me in a crash report.

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report from this App for us to look at…

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Aug 5, 2020 6:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in touch with both developers of these apps and their apps are compatible with the 64-bit structure.

With one of the apps namely Cuprum I zipped my copy up and sent it back to the developer. They loaded it on to their system and it ran without fault. So, it looks like it is a fault with my local environment.

Any further suggestions please?

Aug 5, 2020 6:58 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I deleted the files as you requested and restarted. With the same result, the apps won't load and they merely generate a crash report.

I also tried emptying the bin to make sure the files weren't interfering from the bin then restarting. The apps still won't load.

Anymore suggestions.

PS. Another program downloaded from the app store 'KiCad' would not load it just crashes. However, when I visited their site and downloaded the same program from there it loads and runs OK.

Aug 7, 2020 3:06 AM in response to BDAqua

I reinstalled Catalina OS satisfactorily.

Now the offending apps do nothing. They wont load, they do not show up in the force Quit Applications drop box and they do not generate a crash report.

I deleted them from the Applications Folder and re-downloaded them from the App Store and tried again and they still will not load.

What could cause this?

Two of my apps refuse to load and open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.