You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I turn on my new macbook pro finder, it is non-responsive and the beach ball keeps spinning.

Every time I turn on my new mac book pro finder, it is non-responsive and the beach ball keeps spinning. How do I rectify this. I am not very good with technology

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 10:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 11:27 PM

priyarajagopalan Said:

"Every time I turn on my new mac book pro finder, it is non-responsive and the beach ball keeps spinning. How do I rectify this. I am not very good with technology"

-------

• Boot into Safe Mode: Hold Down the shift key upon boot, and see if you can get into your Mac.

• Reset the SMC and your NVRAM: Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.
10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2020 11:27 PM in response to priyarajagopalan

priyarajagopalan Said:

"Every time I turn on my new mac book pro finder, it is non-responsive and the beach ball keeps spinning. How do I rectify this. I am not very good with technology"

-------

• Boot into Safe Mode: Hold Down the shift key upon boot, and see if you can get into your Mac.

• Reset the SMC and your NVRAM: Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

Aug 6, 2020 7:30 AM in response to priyarajagopalan

priyarajagopalan Said:

"It does not shut down holding down the power button either. Can't do the SMC step as it wont shut down. [...] Please advise further. I am grateful for all this support."

-------

Visit this Link: What to do if your Mac won't shut down - Macworld

What is Mentioned:

Some Other Ideas to Emphasize on:

• Place Atop a Laptop Cooler:

A Laptop Cooler has fans on it. If your Mac is overheating, then that may be playing a big roll in this. So, use a Laptop Cooler, getting one at a nearby retailer.

• Clear Temporary Internet Files

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari. Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

• Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Malware is short for Malicious Software - software that makes your computer operate in a mislead manor (not as intended). So, if found, remove it from the quarantine. Transfer this over using a USB Flash Drive, if a direct download is on not option.

• Try a Log Out:

See if you can log out as your current user. Next, see if you can shut down while in the Login Screen.

• Create a New User:

With a new administrator, log in to it, see if you still get this error - if so, then it is something misconfigured in your current user. So, if that fixes this, then transfer everything over to this new user, ridding of this current user.

To Create an Admin:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Click: Users & Groups
  3. Unlock: the Lock
  4. Press: the "+" button
  5. Add: an Administrator User.

Aug 6, 2020 7:29 AM in response to priyarajagopalan

priyarajagopalan Said:

"It does not shut down holding down the power button either. Can't do the SMC step as it wont shut down. [...] Please advise further. I am grateful for all this support."

-------

As a last resort....

Contact Apple Support:

What to Do:

Screenshare your iPhone's camera and hover over it. Doing so will allow you to show the Apple Rep what is going on, from your perspective. Learn more here: Screenshare your iPhone with the Camera App Enabled to Easily Converse Over-the-Phone with Apple Support - Use Tips

Aug 8, 2020 11:54 PM in response to priyarajagopalan

Hey again! So when you went to the force quit menu, was there anything “Not Responding”?

Since you are still able to open other apps, (It sounds like), I’d press Command and Space Bar, (Or click the magnifying glass), to search for and open Terminal.

Once open, can you try typing “sudo reboot” without the quotes, (Be careful to type just that and it’ll be just fine), then press “Return”, on the keyboard?

Once done, it should ask you for your administrator password, (You won’t see anything being typed), then press “Return”,

It should restart then, and if so, you can try holding Shift key to start in safe mode, see what happens then restart normally if possible,

If that doesn’t work but the Terminal command works, I’d hold down Command R during the start up, go to Disk Utility, select anything that says Macintosh HD and select the First Aid tab and select Run First aid, if it finishes, then just restart to test? If it fails to run First Aid, it’s possible the Mac needs to be erased in order to fix any corruption Disk Utility found on the file system check it did.!

Although, and it’s not likely, you can hold “D” on the keyboard during startup and it will check the hardware of your Mac, and let you know if it’s fine, or it found an issue.

Hope all goes smoothly!

References:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-storage-device-dskutl1040/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Cheers.

Aug 5, 2020 10:50 PM in response to priyarajagopalan

priyarajagopalan Said:

"I realised another issue , my macbook pro just wont shut down. This is all happening after I have downloaded the recent update of macOS Catalina."

-------

Manually Get into Finder:

[Hold Down: Command + Press: Tab] to get out of what you are currently on. Keep pressing Tab until you get to Finder (the Smileyface). Then Try Shutting Down.

If that does not work, then...

Check Force Quit...

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Anything ending with (Not Responding)
  4. Click: Force Quit button
  5. Try the Shut Down once more.

Aug 6, 2020 6:13 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoe,

I have tried TheLittles steps:

Manually Get into Finder:

[Hold Down: Command + Press: Tab] to get out of what you are currently on. Keep pressing Tab until you get to Finder (the Smileyface). Then Try Shutting Down.

If that does not work, then...

Check Force Quit...

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Anything ending with (Not Responding)
  4. Click: Force Quit button
  5. Try the Shut Down once more.

Nothing happened with either.

It does not shut down holding down the power button either. Can't do the SMC step as it wont shut down.

Thanks

Please advise further. I am grateful for all this support.

Aug 3, 2020 11:35 PM in response to priyarajagopalan

Hey there! If a shut down/restart doesn’t fix it:

Are you able to do anything before hand? If you press Command Option Escape on the keyboard and “Relaunch” Finder does it stop? If so, I may go into System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, if anything is there, remove/restart.

are any other users on the Mac? If so, can they log in?

If not I’d start up in safe mode, (Start your Mac while holding the Shift key), and see if it still happens. If not, that might tell us if there is a conflict with other software installed on your Mac that’s conflicting with the OS or another app or process.

Also, if you’re able to stop it with a relaunch, you can select the Spotlight Search (magnifying glass), on the top left, search Activity Monitor to open that, and see if any process is running that says not responding in red, it force quit won’t stop it, it might be a clue as to what is causing the troubles, cheers!

Aug 6, 2020 4:37 AM in response to DiZoE

I am not sure if it worked. I did what you said and then it just would nit shut down so I don't know if it helped. And every time I log into the user the beachball is still happening. I have not tried TheLittles advise as I have been nervous not being very well versed with computers. I will do so this evening and le t you know what happens.

Thanks so much for the help

Every time I turn on my new macbook pro finder, it is non-responsive and the beach ball keeps spinning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.