You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync Contacts with iCloud

Recently got new iPhone 11and have not been able to sync Contacts on iMac (OS High Sierra) with the Cloud or the phone. Notes and Calendars do sync. I have turned Contacts "on" in Settings>Apple ID>iCloud on the phone but no luck. Followed a link to sync settings in iTunes (which I never use on my phone) but that didn't solve the problem either. Could this relate to being unable to upgrade from OS High Sierra?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 8:55 AM

Did you check to see whether all your contacts on your iMac appear under iCloud? Only those that appear under the iCloud folder will synchronize across all your devices.

See below -

Axel F.

4 replies

Aug 3, 2020 9:10 PM in response to Clouserman

All your contact information that is on iCloud should sync from your mac to your iPhone. Yes.

It feels like it is cumbersome because you may be copy pasting contacts from "On my Mac" to iCloud ONE at a time. You can drag a whole selection of contacts to the iCloud section instead. For example, select a category/section under "On My Mac". Then highlight the first contact (right column) and then hold the SHIFT KEY DOWN while using the DOWN ARROW KEY to select more contacts. Once the contacts are selected then use your mouse and drag the whole selection to the iCloud section.

Axel F.

Aug 4, 2020 10:21 AM in response to Axel Foley

That is helpful. I did a couple of tests and found that new contacts entered on my phone immediately appeared on the Cloud list on the Mac but did not appear in the "On My Mac" list. Reversing the process, new contacts entered on the Cloud list on the Mac appeared on my phone but not in the "On My Mac" list. Conclusion, there is no wireless sync between the Cloud and the Mac. Notes and Calendar sync seamlessly between all devices and I feel Contacts should as well. (Notes and Calendar are shared with another family member but Contacts are not shared.) How can I get Contacts and Cloud on speaking terms?

sync Contacts with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.