You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 beeps on MacBook Air 2011

Hi there,

When trying to boot up my MacBook Air, it will chime 3 beeps over and over again. (With a black screen). I’ve used Control + Option + Shift to reset the ram but that doesn’t work. It might also have some graphical issues because I get this occasionally if it does boot up.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 4:48 PM

4 replies

Jul 22, 2020 5:32 PM in response to Copper_29

ugh shoot, you are right I was thinking about my old MacBook and the iMac.

but, I know 3 beep happens because of bad memory module. :(

soldered memory modules definitely limits your options there. maybe you can cry to do a cleaning with some pressured air to make sure there isn't some shorts etc.

(unless you are good at soldering bga chips).

you might want to check this link I hope this helps

https://www.macworld.com/article/2362040/do-you-have-bad-ram-how-to-find-it-and-how-to-fix-it.html

I believe there was a way to disable a memory module from terminal. I will reply again if I can remember it.

(it would cut the amount of your memory in half but should at least make the laptop stable).

3 beeps on MacBook Air 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.