You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime: why are buttons for some people greyed out?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 1:32 PM

Hi,

The Side Bar show the last way you contacted that person.

If...

They use a Phone Number but that device is out of Carrier Range, Out of a fast enough service or not on a LAN then the servers give your app feedback as to what they can do at the time you look.

Also the iPhone (AS you only list a number for her) could also be Off or out of power.

iMessages or even SMS will be sent or tried until the device "answers". Emails will also wait until they are downloaded to the device being used.

Alternatively right at this minute (or at least at the time your started the app) you did not have enough speed to make a Video or Audio or Phone call.

Ralph

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2020 1:32 PM in response to bohumilf

Hi,

The Side Bar show the last way you contacted that person.

If...

They use a Phone Number but that device is out of Carrier Range, Out of a fast enough service or not on a LAN then the servers give your app feedback as to what they can do at the time you look.

Also the iPhone (AS you only list a number for her) could also be Off or out of power.

iMessages or even SMS will be sent or tried until the device "answers". Emails will also wait until they are downloaded to the device being used.

Alternatively right at this minute (or at least at the time your started the app) you did not have enough speed to make a Video or Audio or Phone call.

Ralph

Jul 14, 2020 7:00 AM in response to bohumilf

HI,

Well you can check the speed at your end.

It is also worthwhile to click the greyed out iCon and see if it refreshes the info.

I find my daughter hwo is most often only using her iPhone lives where the Carrier coverage is variable and often if I wait the icons will up date themselves.

I just have to pick a time when she is less likely to be out walking with her children or is not at work.

Ralph

Facetime: why are buttons for some people greyed out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.