You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update will not install

IOS update 12.4.7 will not download and install. I have plenty of room for it. I realize there are updates beyond this one but can't get this one to install. No error message with a reason, just a failure to install message. Can anyone help?

iPhone 6

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 2:13 PM

There are no updates for an iPhone 6 beyond 12.4.7; that is the end of the line for that message.

Here are the conditions that must be met to update iOS:

• You must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The phone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • You must have at least 3 GB of free storage
  • You cannot be connected through VPN
  • If you are not planning for it to update automatically you should turn this option off, as it will only update when the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2020 2:13 PM in response to 789--

There are no updates for an iPhone 6 beyond 12.4.7; that is the end of the line for that message.

Here are the conditions that must be met to update iOS:

• You must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The phone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • You must have at least 3 GB of free storage
  • You cannot be connected through VPN
  • If you are not planning for it to update automatically you should turn this option off, as it will only update when the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Jul 10, 2020 7:03 AM in response to 789--

Look among the individual apps for a large file. It will be near the top, because the list is sorted by decreasing size. Look for a file between 1GB and 2GB.

If all else fails you can update it using your computer. iTunes for a PC or a Mac that does not have Mac OS Catalina, Filer for Catalina. See—>Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 9, 2020 2:37 PM in response to 789--

Did you ever have a beta version on your phone?

Go to Settings/General and scroll to the bottom. Tap on Profiles if it exists, then tap on any beta profile and delete it. Then restart your phone.

You may also have a stray update download. Go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage, look for a large update download and delete it. Then restart your phone.

Jul 11, 2020 4:57 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your help. I'll work on removing photos and videos which seem to be the largest files. I have a separate problem there which is that after the last microsoft update for my Surface Pro, the USB port is no longer working. Once I get that solved I can offload the large files and try the iPhone update again. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Software update will not install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.