You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not clearing messages when read from iPhone

I have tried all the steps mentioned above. If my watch and phone are paired in all other activities why will the messages not clear once I have read them on my phone? I my case I have even deleted the messages off my phone and they STILL appear as unread on my watch. This is very frustrating. Please help.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 5:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 6:58 PM

Hi there, mydoeeyes,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. We understand that when receiving message notifications on your Apple Watch but reading the message on your iPhone, the watch still displays the message as unread. We're happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we would recommend the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Force close any open apps on your iPhone: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and remove recent apps from your Apple Watch Dock: Use the Dock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  2. Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support and your Apple Watch: How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  3. Check for, and install, available iOS updates for your iPhone: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and watchOS updates for your Apple Watch: Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  4. Unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone: Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support then set it up again: Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you still need help.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2020 6:58 PM in response to mydoeeyes

Hi there, mydoeeyes,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. We understand that when receiving message notifications on your Apple Watch but reading the message on your iPhone, the watch still displays the message as unread. We're happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we would recommend the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Force close any open apps on your iPhone: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and remove recent apps from your Apple Watch Dock: Use the Dock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  2. Restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support and your Apple Watch: How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  3. Check for, and install, available iOS updates for your iPhone: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and watchOS updates for your Apple Watch: Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  4. Unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone: Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support then set it up again: Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you still need help.

Cheers!

Apple Watch not clearing messages when read from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.