You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 3 touchscreen intermittent issue / not working properly

I have issues with the touchscreen of my iPad Air 3. Touchscreen doesn’t always respond as expected. Sometimes doesn’t recognize a “touch” and I have to force it or try more than once touch. I thought that could be the screen protector, but isn’t. I removed it, then restore iPadOS but the issue is still happening.

Same issue as described here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251194126

Definitely is not an isolated case.

Would be a software bug or hardware issue?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:44 PM

I had the same issue and contacted apple via their "chat". Was told to send it in and of course, they couldn't reproduce the issue. They said that doing a factory reset likely fixed it. I tried not to laugh. I had an ipad air 2 that worked flawlessly for 5 years and thought i would be upgrading by getting the air 3. I'm sure missing my old ipad everytime i have to type a key 23 times to get it to recognize that I've hit it. Extremely frustrating that apple won't fix this issue. I take immaculate care of it and no screen protector so that's clearly not the issue. I wonder why the phones don't have this issue?

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Designer Gav UK

I had the same issue and contacted apple via their "chat". Was told to send it in and of course, they couldn't reproduce the issue. They said that doing a factory reset likely fixed it. I tried not to laugh. I had an ipad air 2 that worked flawlessly for 5 years and thought i would be upgrading by getting the air 3. I'm sure missing my old ipad everytime i have to type a key 23 times to get it to recognize that I've hit it. Extremely frustrating that apple won't fix this issue. I take immaculate care of it and no screen protector so that's clearly not the issue. I wonder why the phones don't have this issue?

Jun 29, 2020 5:34 PM in response to GonzaloCR

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing touch scree issues with your fairly recent 2019 iPad Air 3 model.

I believe that your 2019 iPad Air 3 may have contracted an serious, hardware and/or software related, intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue/problem/bug/flaw.

See this Apple support link for some additional help, if needed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201406

This is a well known issue here in these iPad support communities.

This intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue affects a continuing, growing minority of iPad Pro users/models across all 4 years of iPad Pro models, as well as the new 2019 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3, which is based from the 2017, 10.5 inch screen iPad Pro models.

The best you can do is to continue to alert Apple to this growing issue and hammer the Apple iPad feedback pages mutiple times on this issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

You can post as much multiple feedback about this issue any time.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Sorry that your iPad Air 3 has contracted this issue.

You are now part of small, but still very much a growing minority of larger screen iPad users that have been affected by this intermittent, unresponsive larger iPad touch screen problem/bug/flaw.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Jul 17, 2020 12:34 PM in response to GonzaloCR

Same iPad and been getting the same issues for nearly 2 months (Covid meant approaching an Apple store wasn’t going to happen). From unresponsive Apps, on the main screen AND dock, to temporary inactive items when open; games, websites... these freeze in use and have even jammed the iPad so I had to restart it!

The call to Apple resulted in insistence that it’s just a software issue, so update iOS, factory reset (no Mac mate),...and it ‘should’ stop the problems. No it doesn’t.

This is my office at home during this pandemic, so I won’t be happy if Apple man wants to “send it off and see what’s happening”

Sep 25, 2020 4:18 AM in response to Flawedlight

Make SURE you've got the right address. I confirmed my address with the person i was speaking through on the chat as well as changed it in my Apple ID settings. They still sent it to my old address and now i can't get in touch with anyone about how to proceed. I've sent 2 emails, a text and a voicemail to my agent that i was assigned to and haven't heard anything. If someone steals it, I guess I'll check the trash can for when they throw it away thinking it doesn't work because the screen still freezes.........

iPad Air 3 touchscreen intermittent issue / not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.