You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive space won't update space when deleting files

Hi there,

I have a Mac book pro 2016 running Mojave 10.14.6 operating system.

I've just deleted 160GB of my hard drive - deleted the trash and there's no sign that I've deleted the files.

it still says I've 110GB available. I should have 270GB available.

I've had this problem before and just toggled my time machine backup on and off and the correct hard drive space showed. I'm a photographer and work with large files so need to back up regularly to free up space for the next day shoot. so frustrating not to be able to date files and know that you have enough space for your shoot.

Please someone help.

many thanks

Roger

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 1:21 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 3, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Roger-Jardine

Hello Roger-Jardine,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that your MacBook Pro doesn't show updated storage after deleting content. We're here to help.

If you haven't already, restart your Mac and see if the free space has been updated.

How to turn your Mac on or off

If the issue persists, check while in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include specific error messages and any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Hard drive space won't update space when deleting files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.